What video card should I get for my Presario SR1650NX

maotrinchik

Beta member
What video card should I get for my Presario SR1650NX? I basically want to stick to a ATI Radeon, since it seems that ATI and AMD have a thing together. It might just run nicer. My system has a PCI Express slot... I'm not quite sure if it's a x16 or a x1... I didn't check when I opened up the box the other day. I'm not quite sure how to identify that anyways.

As far as the power (core voltage) - I'm not quite sure either. I ran CPUZ and got 1.1 v for voltage. ATI posts voltage in WATTS, i.e... 350 watts for the Radeon X1650 PRO. How is this converted. When I look at it: It's an AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 3G DDR 3200 ram, with an integrated chipset for video (ATI RADEON EXPRESS 200 series).

What is the primary goal in installing new video card: Have my two monitors work together, using extended desktop between screens. Both monitors are VGA. So I need a video card that supports dual monitors VGA connection.

Secondary goals: Do 3DMax work, video editting, motion graphic animation and other graphic/web work.

Third (least priority):
Watch TV and/or record from tv or from tv tuner eventually down the road.

I hope I've supplied enough information for someone to give sound advice. The Compaq/HP site doesn't quite reveal the voltage and PCI xpress type (x1 or x16) via the manuals and such. Those types of info could help figure what type of video card could even be installed on my machine, without me busting it's seams.

I was looking at the "Radeon® X1900 Graphics Technology" or the Radeon® X1650 PRO.

Okay. keep the advice rolling!!!!! :)

Other: Since AMD owns ATI, I will go with you on the ATI. However, you seem to be doing workstation stuff, not game playing. For that, I suggest the FireGL series, (Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814195011 )

Though, if you really want the x1900, you should go with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127208 150 dollar rebate :O

About you slot, If its a new computer im guessing its PCI express x16. Take a look inside, if you see a small [---] slot thats PCI express x1, and a PCI express x16 would be next to it and about 4 times as long.

its an x16. u see how it numbers all the pci slots? like pci 1, 2, and 3. well it only names the one pci express slot.

Okay. Yeah. That makes sense. :)

If you were me, what video card would you be looking at getting? I'm checking out the FireGL 3400 128mb, posted by ALEXF1224.

Is there a noticable difference between 128mb and 256mb? I'm sure, since it's reflected in the price. I"m just curious what it would be.

The ATI X1900 is the best bet.

As for RAM, yes. It's about the capability of refreshing and the graphics to load and process. Bigger is better.

:rolleyes: Any advice before I get into the next step?

Cool. So. I think my next step is to install the card. Eekk. Kind of scary for me. I tried it once on a former machine, with no luck(which I ended up returning to Fry's within a day because it just wasn't doing it for me). I couldn't isolate if it was the refurbished computer I bought at Fry's or if it was my clumsy attempt in installing the video card... this was about a year ago. Fast forward, to December 2006... I have a new machine about a year old and I just got my new video card just unwrapped from New Egg TODAY!!! hee heee

My first step is to open up the instructions from the HP site and keep it open on my laptop, while I install the card on my desktop. I reviewed it briskly a couple days ago, noting the instructions about "disabling" the chipset via the bios prior to installing the new video card. Does anyone have any advice for me? Or am i better off paying the guys at Best Buy's GEEK SQUAD to do it?

Back
Top Bottom