What type of WIFI security is this school using?

mitts2010

Baseband Member
OK, well...this school has WIFI internet, all the administrators use it, and you can see the repeaters all around the school. But when you search for wireless access points in vista it comes up with "unknown network" or something and it says "unsecured". When you double click it it asks for the SSID, so when you enter it in, it changes the name in the main window, then when you double click it again, in the Windows "Connect to a Network" screen, it asks for a user name and password.

What are they using? Whenever I have seen an access point ask for a user name and password it is in the browser.

First off do you know what signal the school is using? Whether it is b or g. The reason that I ask is that vista is set up to only work on g or higher networks.

Next question is you said that all the admins use the wireless, are you and admin? Or is the wireless set up for everyone to use. If it can only be accessed by the admins, then you might need to get a un and pw from one of them. I am telling you how to do that.

If the wireless is accessible by anyone then you might want to get in touch with you schools network admins and ask them what is up.

Cheers!

Why do you need to know?
If they wanted you to have access to it, they would have given you a un / pw.

You'll have to have the username and pw to access it so ask the admins. If you're not supposed to be on it then you might get in trouble for trying to get on it. It's secured for a reason.

If you were supposed to have access, they would give you the login credentials. They might not take kindly to you trying to obtain access if you aren't allowed. Are you sure it is even a student network?

First off do you know what signal the school is using? Whether it is b or g. The reason that I ask is that vista is set up to only work on g or higher networks.

I am not sure about that. B and G networks are backwards compatible with each other. I have a Vista laptop that always accessed the student wifi at my college, and it showed that it was a B network. :confused:

All I had to to is go to the office and sign this form. They gave me the user name and password I enter when windows prompts me too. But still, what type of encryption are they using?

And is there anyway I can browse the internet without going through all the school crazy filters and monitoring? VPN or something maybe?

All I had to to is go to the office and sign this form. They gave me the user name and password I enter when windows prompts me too. But still, what type of encryption are they using?

And is there anyway I can browse the internet without going through all the school crazy filters and monitoring? VPN or something maybe?
No, you're on their network, abide by their rules.

there are always ways, which cant be discussed here ;)
my schools networtk sucks. so unsecure. i think they are securing it now though :( less fun

Back
Top Bottom