What type of graphics card slot does this computer have? v. I hope it's PCI-E

MikeReiner said:
I wouldn't know how to answer that question all too well.. however, what I can tell you from personal experience, quake4 and doom3 will work pretty well on a GeForce 6600GT and faster. Both of those games perform beautifully on my 7600GT.
If I were to get the 6600 GT, do you believe that it would be sufficient for games in the near future as well? Also, what FPS should I be looking at when I play these games with that card on high settings (not the highest one, oblivion I think it is).

a 6600GT.. ehh.. you should be able to play most games out today at a good rate, however games coming out on the horizon might give you an issue.. I would suggust atleast a 7600GT.. I only got it because I had a tight budget.

I'd recommend an nVIDIA 6600gt, or an ATI x850xt. Both would perform admirably. Newer games would run a little less faster, but you should get pretty decent frame rates from either of these cards. Whats your price limit for these cards?

Thanks!

My budget is currently anything under $165. The x850xt looks like a great buy, the only thing I am scared about is how people always mention the compatibility of video cards relative to size (how can I be sure it will fit perfectly? and how people have mentioned overheating, and stuff like that. How am I to know if it's too strong for my computer, or if it needs more fans, and what not?

I am installing it in a brand new computer

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...g=&category=&subcat1=&catLevel=#defaultAnchor

So it makes me a bit cautious. The reviews on NewEgg say how it overheats without overclocking and what not. I don't want to tamper with the fans and all honestly, perhaps there is another card similar in power, without the problems of heating and size etc? But how do you read it (specs wise), and know that it's not too strong, or has more voltage than my computer actually puts out? Etc. I want to also read it.

It says "300-Watt Power Supply or higher recommended" and I can't find anywhere which mentions the power supply on my computer.

__

Also, How do you determine which one is better, is it by Memory Clock speed? (I've noticed good cards have 1000+ MHz), so I am assuming that would be a good thing?

it doesn't use two PCI-E slots, just one. The heatsink takes up just another bracket, thats all. if you would want the 2nd one, I suggust you make sure there is plenty of space in your case..

Gotcha, I will more than likely go for the first one, just in case the case isn't big enough (not sure how to measure), but the requirements say

"Minimum of a 350 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 18 Amp Amps.)
Minimum 400 Watt for SLI mode system.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 24 Amp Amps.)"

How am I to make sure it meets the requirments, I can't seem to find it on the website.

Back
Top Bottom