What is thermal paste?

Juice1

Fully Optimized
Uh I asked my uncle if he has any thermal paste and he said yeah he has a tub of it, he said it was some grease that is the same as thermal paste. He is a mechanic and he said he got it from his shop and he uses it for his cpu heatsinks... what is it? Begins with a b like bi or something and ends with grease. Does it work?

dont use any thing but artic silver 5
thermil past is a very strong conductive of heat that transfers heat from cpu to heatsink

I know what it is, but whats the stuff my uncle was talking about

dipolar grease??? idk.

I KNOW WHAT THERMAL PASTE IS, the question is what the hell is the other one called that my uncle was talking about

Well personally I'd try it out. Thermal compounds can be in multiple ways, but I'd just watch out though. If it gets liquidy, it can cause damage! Just like when I had the brilliant idea of asking if putting peanut butter on mine wiuld be the same as thermal paste. Needless to say, I got the syringe.

Just, what color does it look like? Is it clear see through or is it full opacity?

dielectric grease maybe? I would just use regular thermal paste if i were you though...

Well, like I said you can try it out, but IMO, I don't think it will help. I personally don't recommend mixing auto parts with computers; they just don't match.

I know i saw something like this on newegg in a lil movie and they said that it needs to be replaced ever so often so just stick to some good old AS5 or some AC2.

I KNOW WHAT THERMAL PASTE IS, the question is what the hell is the other one called that my uncle was talking about

then dont call the thread "What is thermal paste?" :rolleyes:

and you should just stick to thermal paste designed to be used with heatsinks etc since using "grease" is a bit iffy especially coming from a mechanic since "grease" is a very bad conductor of heat, well the kind i know of does.

Back
Top Bottom