What system should i buy?

m0s3f

Baseband Member
System Number One:

AMD S939 Athlon 64 3500+ CPU, 250GB Seagate 7200rpm 8M Serial ATA HDD, Thermaltake Soprano Case Black X-Type Window, NetGear FA311TX 10/100 Network Card, ASUS S939 A8N SLI Motherboard, ASUS 6600GT/TD/128 128M PCIe Video Card, Logitech Internet Pro Keyboard and Mouse Black, ASUS 16x 1608P Super Multi DVD Burner Black, DDR 1GB Geil 400MHz PC3200 RAM.

System Number Two: (its a dell system, lol)

2GB (4X512) NECC Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz SDRAM Memory, 250GB SATA (7200RPM) Hard Drive, 16X DVD+/-RW with Dual Layer Write Capabilities, 256MB PCIe(TM) x16 ATI Radeon(TM) X600 HyperMemory(TM) w/TV-Out and DVI, Sound Blaster(R) Audigy(TM) 2 ZS Sound Card, Dell(TM) Wireless Keyboard and Optical Mouse, Integrated Fast Ethernet 10/100, 3.2GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB, one of those dell mobo's (its a P4 btw!)

Now im askin which is better as a whole system, not just individual parts. Both systems are about the same price.

I actually like the second pc, but, being a dell... *sigh* I just can't go with it. The amd cpu is pretty good too. It's what I have, and it runs very well. The dell has more things on it, meaning like ram, but it's a dell, and propeitary is not high on my list of what I want on my computer. I'd go with the first.

ArrizX_MuziK said:
You underestimate dells my friend..

Lol... sorry dude, not here. I'm thinking future here. While, if in a benchmark, the dell system might win here and there, in gaming, amd would win, etc. The graphics card on the dell is nice, and the extra double ram is a great addition. But upgrading is impossible. Propietary psu's, cases, etc. if you want to upgrade something, it's darn near impossible, short of breaking something. The amd, on the other hand, is upgradable and with a socket 939 mobo you can get a dual core going there with just a simple BIOS upgrade, while, with an intel, you have to replace the mobo, get a new cpu, and do a BIOS upgrade. :D

Well, first thing your doing wrong. Upgrading IS NOT impossible. I have standard case. Standard psu. Yes, dell mobo, but room for upgrading (like my video card). Plenty of room for more ram. (4gb total). And as far as I know, its not like a special connection for processor ro mobo. Its like a LGA775. I mean intel yes, dell, yes, but, its not special. Or dell biased. This (Dimention 9100), is fully upgradable, and interchangeable. Thats whats happeneing with the new entertainment, and xps line from them. So all in all. Dell is becoming a bit better. Taking mine for instance, again, you can do anything too it. Only problem is gettin another fan in their, but thats not a problem either, becuase it pulls from a heifty 120mm fan in the front to another 120mm out to the back. THere is nothing wrong with my computer. Dell, yeah. But still, upgrade able. So meh.. personal preferance on this issue. I found myself repeating alot in this. Oh well im not tpying it out again :p

I said impossible, but, as I said later on, darn near impossible, because last-gen's dell's WERE near impossible to change around. Ok, so dell is getting better. Congrats. Their sells went down, what was it, like last month or something... anyways... Of course you have a standard case, standard psu. Have you tried replacing that psu? Maybe it's a newer one... but... freakin hard on my friend's dell... he had to break the case. Seriously. Ah well... as you said, it's personal preference. My school has dell's up the arse, and, although they do their job, the custom built comp in a computer class, amd 4000+, 2gb of ram, and other nice stuff, performs a heck of lot better than compared to similaraily equipped 3.6ghz intel, 2gb ram, almost same setup. Just depends on you... but I still say amd... the 3500+ is a sweet cpu.

Oh, you ment literally replacing parts. Well what I ment by standard was like.. 24pin connecter for the psu. I mean thats basicly universal. But I didnt know it was ment so literally. Well, ram, video card, sound card, all that esy to take out. Psu, never tried. Processor, never tried. And i swear the hard drive is nailed down inside that case (lol jk). But still, its damn near impossible. It just doesnt wanna come out. I still havent gotten it out yet. Blah..

If you wanna pound the shit outta the first one. As far as im concerned, get it with a big enough hard drive, and powerfull enough psu, and processor. your fine. Say you wanna upgrade ram. No problem. Video card, No problem for space, but if you want to get a really nice one, you might have a wattage problem. But if push comes to shove, a computer tech could do it for a small fee..

Back
Top Bottom