What is SLI?

Actually, SLI originally stood for Scan-Line Interleave. It was conceived and invented by 3dfx in 1998 using two of it's Voodoo 2 video cards.

guys, i just tried overclocking my crappy 64mb ati radeon 9000 and i get a 'error during direct3d init.' with ATITool

Yup. 1998! They were true innovators in the 3D graphics world at the time. Unfortunately, they soon went under due to bad business practices and were largely bought up by Nvidia.

Yep, which ended up helping NVIDIA when they decided to make their version of SLI, which works a bit differently than 3dfx's.

When SLI first came out it was really just a joke...expensive graphics cards, performance wasn't that great and the drivers were just horrid. Now it's definately matured and a good way to get great graphics if you have the extra money.

Don't get me started with SLI Memory though. :rolleyes: Just another gimmick by NVIDIA.

Like I said a while ago, next thing you'll see is NVIDIA putting two hard drives in RAID and calling it SLI HDD. :rolleyes:

Yup. 1998! They were true innovators in the 3D graphics world at the time. Unfortunately, they soon went under due to bad business practices and were largely bought up by Nvidia.

Matrox was also pretty popular in the 90's because of their powerful 2D rendering and their dual monitor setups.

I can vouch for their reliability. I still have one of their cards (G450) ticking away in one of my HP Vectras that I use on a daily basis. It comes with dual head VGA outputs, something unheard of in the late 90's.

Their drivers are also pretty known for their stability.

I just took a look at the site you listed. Remarkable, they're still selling that model today.

Back
Top Bottom