What should I upgrade?

joelbeveridge said:
Go a new Video card and make your computer happy. something nice will allow games to run nice.

Cool, thanks for the advice. Say on a budget of around £150-200 pounds (about $250-350) could you recommend me a video card?

If you got $350, I'd definitely get a X1900XT. It's probably the best card you can get for that money. 1GB RAM should suffice most games, but I'd recommend 2GB for any brand new games (with some decent clocks, of course). And your processor is very good. Should be a fantastic computer with a video card upgrade.

Though ATI is releasing a newer card (X1950XTX), I'm pretty sure it will be way out of your price range. It would be a better card, just (IMO) not better as far as price/performance ratio. New cards always carry sky-high prices when they first come out.

check the psu wattage. Just open the case and stare at the psu :p, u should be able to spot the wattage number.

New vid cards need quite much power, and usually the prebuilt computers don't come with good psus. The current vid card uses pci-e so any pci-e card should fit into the mobo, u could grab a 7900GT, the price/performance ratio is great!

And about the ram, 1gb of ddr400 is enough to run most games on high settings. Some games like battlefield 2 will require 1.5gb (if u are getting more than 1gb then take 2gb) to run smoothly on high settings. So u should be fine with 1gb, but the 2nd gb will help, and all loading times on maps etc will be much faster.
So if u can afford it the second gb would be nice, but it's not necessary.

Back
Top Bottom