What should I set my virtual memory to?

sara_dippity

Baseband Member
I just fixed an error with Photoshop not starting by upping the minimum virtual memory to 3500, but the problem is that in experimenting I deleted the maximum and forgot to write it down... I have 1g of ram (well, two 512 sticks), winxp home edition, huge hard drive (the number around 114g), 2g processor. Not that I think the processor would affect memory. Anyway, what should my maximum size be?

I think that Windows can work out the most effective amount of virtual memory for you, if not then download SiSoft Sandra, pop that into google. It can find out anything about your computer, im not sure if it will do this but give it a go if no-one else is going to answer.

I don't really want to install something...
Can I put the minimum and leave the maximum blank? Letting Windows do it for me results in an error and Adobe won't open, probably because it's an old version of Photoshop.

Ok...

The rule of thumb is set the virtual memory to 1.5 times the amount of plug in ram you have. You can't leave one value out, it won't like it. Set the min and max to the same size and lock the size in. REBOOT
Now my question is are you running the memory in dual channel mode or as both 512 ram cards equaling 1 gig?

Umm... Well, on system properties, it says 1g, not 1.24g, so does that mean I'm doing the non dual channel mode?
I just popped them in and everything on my motherboard is default stuff, in my bios and whatnot. I'm only a little bit of a geek, aspiring to future heights of geekness.
It says the minimum recomended is 1534 mb, which would be 1.5 times, but that's the setting that Adobe won't start at, and it wouldn't start at 3000 either.
Does 4000 sound okay for a maximum? Would that hurt anything? If I have a lot of disk space, is 5000 ok?

Re: Ok...

setishock said:
Now my question is are you running the memory in dual channel mode or as both 512 ram cards equaling 1 gig?

Could you elaborate on that (how Dual Channel effects the Virtual Memory)? I have dual channel myself.

Well...

It would determine if she started at 1.5x512 or 1.5x1024.

However if Adobe is having problems the best solution would be to get with Adobe tech support and see why it needs such a large chunk of virtual memory.

It needs that memory for startup because it is 4.0 and made for Win 95, before Adobe made a more efficient startup process.
Is 4000 ok for a maximum size? Am I going to run into problems with 3500 as a minimum? Should I change it to that each time I want to use Adobe, then just change back when done?

Back
Top Bottom