What Sempron is comparable to Athlon XP?

arrow_runner

Beta member
Due to the high price and little choice of high end AGP video cards, I've decided to sell my current system for the sake of price and upgradeablility.

I have the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe with a Mobile Athlon XP 2500+ Overclocked to 2300MHz, which comes out as an Athlon XP 3300+. Although it's fast, the limit and price of the system's AGP has left me in a bit of a pickle. I finally decided to build a newer system with a comparable CPU with atleast 1 PCI Express slot.

So, my question is. Which Sempron 64 is the equivalent to an XP 3300+?

I'm probably going to get a Sempron because of it's budget price. Also I can upgrade to a nice 64 proc later.

I'm really looking for an equivalent or better CPU than the one I have. I'm perfectly content with my XP 3300+, but I want to be able to play the newer games and I'd rather not waste my money on a 6600GT, which are way to expensive in AGP form.

And as far as getting an AMD instead of Intel, personal preference. After looking through this site it seems that a lot of people like to spend their time ranting about AMD vs Intel. That is just ignorant if you ask me. Intel should be respected because of all the wonderful things that they have done for computer industry. AMD should be respected because they have successfully challenged the silicon giant with their own technology.

AMD just happens to be my preference.

Again, what would be a comparable Sempron 64 CPU to my 3300+ XP?

Please, serious responses only. Thank you.

Ok, but you do undersatnd that they dont make those processors anymore? That there on to more gaming things, then budget Cpu's. And how much do you feel like spending on this?

The AMD 64 2800+ is more expensive than the Sempron 3300+. Obviously the Sempron is a less powerful processor, but like I said, I'm looking for something comparable to my current 3300+ XP processor.

My budget for this is probably going to be about $300, give or take $50. I already have RAM and Hard Drives.

The whole purpose of this new system is for better graphics card options. I know a socket 754 board doesn't have a ton of upgrade paths, but it's a lot better than my current Socket A board.

Here's my situation. I've got the 3300+ proc and 3/4 gig of pc3200. My vid card completely bites. It's a GeForce 5200 and I have it overclocked big time(with little noticable difference). The best price for an AGP 6600GT is about $150, whereas a PCI-X would be $100, maybe less. If I can sell my current system for $300 or so, I'd be able to break even and by a socket 754 board, Sempron Proc, and 6600GT PCI-X card.

I don't want to get stuck with a slower processor than the one I have though.

Im pretty sure there isent any sempron thats equal to yer xp. So i would just go for athlon 64.

Back
Top Bottom