what are sata raid for?

reodan92

Baseband Member
im kinda new to pc parts and what not and i was wondering what sata raid is for and what are hard drive slaves (or something like that).

Update: Ok problem solve but now i have a new qeustion what is PATA for?

SATA is the next generation of the Parallel ATA (the drives that uses the big, fat, flat ribbon like cable) physical storage interface. Serial ATA is a serial link that creates a point-to-point connection between devices. Transfer rates for Serial ATA begin at 150 MBps and SATA II 300MBps. It's newer and should be the standard on all new PCs. There are no Master/Slave configuration for SATA hard drives.

RAID is a collection of hard drives that offers increased performance and fault tolerance. There are different level of RAID and works in conjunction with SATA. RAID 0 is mainly for performance (where data are transferred onto two separate hard drives for increase access times) while the other RAID levels are redundancy + performance.

I don't know a whole much about RAID arrays but I'm pretty sure it allows you to use two hardrives almost as if it were one. For example, if you were in Windows Explorer it would recognize one hard drive at 500GB instead of two different hard drives at 250GB a piece.

RAID 0 can be a bit decieving. It is true that two hard drives act as one. But if you have for example, two hard drives both at 250GB each. You would think they total 500GB. But that's not the case in this Raid level. It's still 250GB. What a waste of hard drive space, lol for such little performance gain. I don't feel the performance justify the cost. Better to partition :p

RAID 0 can be a bit decieving. It is true that two hard drives act as one. But if you have for example, two hard drives both at 250GB each. You would think they total 500GB. But that's not the case in this Raid level. It's still 250GB. What a waste of hard drive space, lol for such little performance gain. I don't feel the performance justify the cost. Better to partition :p

WOW what do u mean ! ? are u sure u correct? its the first time i hear something like that! Imposseble!

I have 2X 250G in a raid 0 config, my computer telling me i have 500g. So u saying its incorrect and i only have 250g ? dude its ether i didnt understand ur post, or u dont know what u talking about, sorry.

Well from what i know first of all In RAID 0 if you put (2) 250g hard drives you will have a 500g drive, basically think or it as how a dual core processor works, the data gets split up between the drives so that half of whatever you put on it is simultaneously put on both drive just split up to make it faster for read/write. the only problem with RAID 0 is that if one drive fails, you lose all your data because its split in half and wont be recoverable.

Now a RAID 1 on the other hand basically makes a mirror image of whatever you are putting on the first drive so if you have (2) 250g it will show up as a single 250g but if your drive fails you have the same thing on the other drive so you can just hook it up and go from there so if you got lot of important stuff you can absolutly not afford to lose you wont.

so
RAID 0 = Faster speed, more performance
RAID 1 = Back up, same performance as a single drive.

there are a few more RAID setups but thats all i know

o i c thx everybody, so is this better then using a sata 3.0 interface because im gonna be using 2 400 gb hd?

I think you are correct. I was getting it crossed with the fact that if you were to have two different size drives, the total size would yield the smallest drive capacity * 2. So if you were to get both 250GB, yes it would be 500GB in RAID 0. But if you were to get like a 100GB and the other drive is 250GB, it would be 200GB max. That was what I was trying to refer too.

My two 250GB hard discs are setup in Raid 1 (mirroring). Can I uninstall this arrangement? I want to be able to again use each hard drive independently.

If so, how? And, by doing so, do I lose the apps and data on drive C:\?

Back
Top Bottom