Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default What Router Do I Need?

I used to be pretty good with this stuff, then technology left me behind!

I have a Centennial mobile broadband connection. The card is a Sierra Wireless 885.

I believe what I want to do is fairly simple:

I need a router that I can plug the card into and send, via wireless connection, a shared Internet connection to two laptops, both with wireless cards.

I'm looking at the MBR 1000, but it both costs more than I want to spend, and looks like overkill for my needs.

I'd like to keep the price under $200, preferably around $150 or lower. I know quality costs, but I would think there would be something out there that would be inexpensive simply because I'm not asking it to do a whole lot: I just want it to take a signal from the Centennial/Sierra 885 card and rebroadcast it in standard wireless for pickup by two laptops.

The only reason I'm not creating a p2p between the laptops is that they must be a bit further apart than I can get the wireless to broadcast. Otherwise I'd just make one into a server and share the connection that way.

Any nice, simple, inexpensive, Wi-Fi mobile broadband capable router suggestions for the specs given?

Thank you,

P.S. This is EDGE protocol on the mobile card. J.S.

Joshua M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
Baseband Member
Default Re: What Router Do I Need?

what about a linksys wireless router? I have had one for about 3 years now and havent had a single problem with it. It has wireless capabilities plus it has 4 ethernet ports on the back of it if you would want to have any computers plugged in. Currently i have 5 computers that use the shared internet connection either by wireless connection or ethernet cable. Plus one of my brothers bought a ps3 and now he uses it for online gaming as well.
"Live for nothing or die for something"!
dcjose20 is offline   Reply With Quote