What RAM should I get

Conspirate said:
So like, the OCZ's timing of 3-3-3-8 would be very similar to that of the Corsair XMS (2-3-2-6). The Corsair is about ten dollars more, but I heard that OCZ refuses all the rebates that are sent in ;o(.

Also, is it a bad idea to get 512 sticks when using an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800? I heard that something about memory taxing on your system makes it practically worthless(?) Thanks.

no, 3-3-3-8 and 2-3-2-6 are not that similar.
The 1st number (CL) matters the most, then comes the second etc...
And as u can see with XMS every latency is lower or equal to the OCZ.
But the difference in performance between different latencies isn't that much.
I'd still go for the XMS instead of the OCZ.

And I don't think that there is anything wrong with using 512mb sticks. Some mobo refused to work if u had 4x 512, but it was only one kind of mobo (atleast I never heard about any other ones having any major problems) and it was a while ago so they must have fixed it by now.

Well when you run 4x512's then you have to run your memory at a 2t command rate. If you have two 1gb sticks then you can run it at the 1t command rate. 1t is faster then 2t so you would want to get a 2x1gb kit. So unless you get very good 512mb modules and overclock them like crazy the 1gb modules would be better. The corsair xms is good but I think that this memory would be better

Planning a new PC I was going to get Crucial Ballistix. Sounds like it could be a mistake as I haven't heard one person suggest Crucial. Kingston was another possible choice. But again nobody seems to use Kingston either. Corsair XMS would be a better choice?

Tom :confused:

TomK said:
Planning a new PC I was going to get Crucial Ballistix. Sounds like it could be a mistake as I haven't heard one person suggest Crucial. Kingston was another possible choice. But again nobody seems to use Kingston either. Corsair XMS would be a better choice?

Tom :confused:

Actually thats very good memory. Its just really expensive thats why I didnt reccomend it. If you have the money then thats what I would get.

Well, the RAM is the only thing I have yet to pick up. I dont have a lot of money to toss around, but I would pay the extra ten, twenty bucks for quality, which leads me to this . Any last comments? If not, im going to order by the weeks end. Thanks!

Yeah... thanks everyone, for participating in this forum; I have finally ordered all of the parts for my computer, excluding RAM, which I am going to order this weekend.

Oh, and Amish Kid, I ordered the 7800GT and got the free eVGA motherboard as you did, I presume. How does she handle?

Back
Top Bottom