what is raid?

starkdawg

Beta member
what is all this talk about RAID and such, could someone please give me a detailed description. Thanks for any help in advance.

Perhaps someone can give you a detailed description and all(or you can just google it as you should rather than asking here ;P) But basically, it's a way for a computer to use 2 harddrives as one large one. I also think there's some way where you can use 2 HDs for the same data(IE like a backup or something) I'm not really sure though on that one...

ok: here we go;

(1)Originally, Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks but has evolved to Redundant Array of Independent Disks.

(2)Acronym for redundant array of independent disks or redundant array of inexpensive disks. RAID is a performance enhancing method of storing the same data in different places on multiple hard disks.

(3)Redundent Array of Inexpensive Disks. In networking and truly critical applications, a method of using several hard disk drives in an array to provide fault-tolerance in the event that one or more drives fail catastrophically. The different levels of RAID,0 through 5, are each designed for a specific use; there is no difference in speed or quality between these levels. The correct level of RAID for your installation depends on how you use your network

(4)Redundant Array of Independent/Inexpensive Disks/Devices) – A method of providing data redundancy, improved performance and/or quick data recoverability from disk crashes, by spreading or duplicating data across multiple disk drives. Commonly used RAID types include RAID 0 (Data Striping), RAID 1 (Disk Mirroring) and RAID 5 (Striping with Distributed Parity). RAID configurations typically require SCSI disk drives (not IDE/EIDE) and may require identical drives (same capacity, brand, etc.). RAID arrays appear to the operating system as a single device.

Back
Top Bottom