What is overclocking your CPU?

draik

Baseband Member
I know this might seem like a stupid question becuase you all seemt o know what this is, but I am very curious as to what this actually is and what it does and the pros and cons to doing it. Thanks :)

well the idea is to increase the clock speed of the cpu. With an increased clock speed it does more work in the same time, so the performance is increased. And multiplier x fsb = clock speed. Like the stock clock speed of my cpu is 3.00ghz (multiplier = 15, fsb = 200). But I increased the fsb to 225 so now I'm running at 3.38ghz.

Pros: better performance
cons: more stress on the cpu&ram, higher temps (both of these can lead to the cpu braking, but it's rare and won't happen if you know what you are doing) increased electricity consumption

There's a little clock inside a Computer chip Processor. When you "overclock" it you're basically using software to turn the clock around and around. So through some unexplained part of physics, time turns quicker within the processor. So it's part theory of relativity, and part computer genius. Because you're making the clock inside spin faster, time outside slows down. At least to the computer chip, so its moving faster when viewed by us. The extra heat output is an unexplained phenomena that no one still can explain to this day.

Kidding. :D That website is good.

Ahh that explains a little bit. I am more of a gamer than a wiz at computers. I understand stuff that alot of others dont, but I don't know it all :(.

dude i wouldnt bother overclocking if you have a dual core if its for gaming cos that is enough without overclock and plus it isnt worth the risk if youu dont know what you are doing

u've come to the right place to learn then. feel free to ask any question u have. we are here to help.

Back
Top Bottom