Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-19-2015, 06:31 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default What is this noise?!

Hi, I'm not entirely sure if this worked as I type this, I took a recording on my phone, realised it wasn't a supported format and went through a few programs online to get a format that would upload, I think it's ended up a video format instead, there's a strange noise coming from my computer, is it the hard drive, it's not a clicking sound so I'm a little confused, thanks in advance
Attached Files

Corsair Carbide spec 3 * Gigabyte Socket 1151 * Intel I5 7600k 3.8ghz * 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133mhz * Corsair CX750 * 2gb Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 Strix * 1TB internal Samsung spinpoint * Windows 10 home
emperor76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:23 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: What is this noise?!

I think it's one of the harddrives.
Does it happen randomly or is it constant? if constant, unplug them both and see if the problem are gone when you turn on the computer.
If it happens randomly i would unplug the drives power cord one at the time while it's on when the sound is present. Be sure that the computer is not writing any important data. You might say "that sounds like s stupid idea". But it's no less dangerous for the drives than unplugging the computers power cord while it's on. It's not recommended that you cut the power on a computer while it's on, but doing this test only once will rule out the drives or pinpoint the sound.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:40 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS / WD VelociRaptor

^Disk SMART tester and deep level HDD tester.

Run it on the affected drive, back up any data on it first...
Old 05-20-2015, 02:20 PM   #4
In Runtime

Thanks, the noise is not constant, I'm sat on the computer now, it's not happening all the time, it'll do it for a few seconds, then stop for a while, then it will do it for a few seconds and stop again, I'm tempted to test it by the methods you've both suggested, but I don't have a working drive big enough to back up my data as my last one was about to fail and I removed it to keep the data I had at the time safe as a last resort if it all went pear shaped, I keep meaning to buy a usb back up drive, but first I bought more RAM, then I bought a new monitor, possibly a silly mistake, but I just couldn't resist the immediate benefits I would get from the upgrades I got, I have two drives, but while writing this I just realised one of my drives isn't showing up, just looked and I haven't reconnected the power cord on the second drive which I use for xp, so does that mean it's the main Windows 7 drive?
Corsair Carbide spec 3 * Gigabyte Socket 1151 * Intel I5 7600k 3.8ghz * 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133mhz * Corsair CX750 * 2gb Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 Strix * 1TB internal Samsung spinpoint * Windows 10 home
Old 05-20-2015, 02:53 PM   #5
In Runtime

Update: after connecting the power cable to the second xp drive, windows got stuck on the windows 7 loading screen, disconnected, worked fine, reconnected, same problem, now I'm on with the second drive disconnected, no noises whatsoever so far, at least I can take solace in the fact it wasn't my main 1TB drive as far as I can tell, Farewell XP, maybe I'll make a small partition to being it back, is it possible for the drive not even containing Windows 7 to stop Windows 7 from loading?
Old 05-20-2015, 03:53 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

True, I had to convert my audio files to the video format (MP4) but it works.

By the way, is your drive secured in the mount?
Old 05-21-2015, 04:58 AM   #7
In Runtime

I think it's mounted properly, here's a picture of both sides of the affected drive
Attached Images
Old 05-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Yeah, that looks solid.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:54 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

HD Scraping is the only thing that I can come up with...
Old 05-22-2015, 03:51 PM   #10
Wizard of Wires

Could also be case fan noise. Unplug all the fans except the CPU fan and listen for the noise.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote