What is this noise?!

emperor76

In Runtime
Hi, I'm not entirely sure if this worked as I type this, I took a recording on my phone, realised it wasn't a supported format and went through a few programs online to get a format that would upload, I think it's ended up a video format instead, there's a strange noise coming from my computer, is it the hard drive, it's not a clicking sound so I'm a little confused, thanks in advance

I think it's one of the harddrives.
Does it happen randomly or is it constant? if constant, unplug them both and see if the problem are gone when you turn on the computer.
If it happens randomly i would unplug the drives power cord one at the time while it's on when the sound is present. Be sure that the computer is not writing any important data. You might say "that sounds like s stupid idea". But it's no less dangerous for the drives than unplugging the computers power cord while it's on. It's not recommended that you cut the power on a computer while it's on, but doing this test only once will rule out the drives or pinpoint the sound.

Last edited:
Thanks, the noise is not constant, I'm sat on the computer now, it's not happening all the time, it'll do it for a few seconds, then stop for a while, then it will do it for a few seconds and stop again, I'm tempted to test it by the methods you've both suggested, but I don't have a working drive big enough to back up my data as my last one was about to fail and I removed it to keep the data I had at the time safe as a last resort if it all went pear shaped, I keep meaning to buy a usb back up drive, but first I bought more RAM, then I bought a new monitor, possibly a silly mistake, but I just couldn't resist the immediate benefits I would get from the upgrades I got, I have two drives, but while writing this I just realised one of my drives isn't showing up, just looked and I haven't reconnected the power cord on the second drive which I use for xp, so does that mean it's the main Windows 7 drive?

Update: after connecting the power cable to the second xp drive, windows got stuck on the windows 7 loading screen, disconnected, worked fine, reconnected, same problem, now I'm on with the second drive disconnected, no noises whatsoever so far, at least I can take solace in the fact it wasn't my main 1TB drive as far as I can tell, Farewell XP, maybe I'll make a small partition to being it back, is it possible for the drive not even containing Windows 7 to stop Windows 7 from loading?

True, I had to convert my audio files to the video format (MP4) but it works. :)

By the way, is your drive secured in the mount?

I think it's mounted properly, here's a picture of both sides of the affected drive

Attachments

• IMAG0119.jpg
    IMAG0119.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG0120.jpg
    IMAG0120.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 6
Could also be case fan noise. Unplug all the fans except the CPU fan and listen for the noise.

Back
Top Bottom