Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-14-2006, 04:25 PM   #11
Golden Master

Default Re: What IS my PROBLEM!?!?!

You need to get that old thermal grease or any build up on that CPU and heatsink off. It's ruining the effectiveness of Arctic Silver. Use your fingernails to scrape it off after rubbing some alcohol on it. I like to use a latex glove or a sandwich bag or something so I don't put oil on it. Do not spread it out on the CPU. Put a small drop of the grease in the middle of the CPU and mount the heatsink. That should be it.

Old 01-14-2006, 05:19 PM   #12
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura

and also, it takes some time (maybe like a week or so) for Arctic silver to start working to it's full potential.

Old 01-15-2006, 11:40 AM   #13
Baseband Member

45'C for an intel is fine dude...
Old 01-15-2006, 12:15 PM   #14
Fully Optimized

Sure, but 71 Celsius isn't, which he stated. I don't know why it is running so hot, though, even if you didn't quite get everything off it should not get that hot. I suppose the only thing you can do is to redo it and hope for the best. I've heard of some people using Q-Tips for helping them get stuff off of the CPU, but I don't know if this is a good thing to do since I've never changed out a heatsink myself.

And, it must be really hot in Colorado right now or something, or you need to turn the heat down! It is like 80 degrees inside your house! My house is usually around something like 68 degrees!
Jamxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:54 PM   #15
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammikoura
and also, it takes some time (maybe like a week or so) for Arctic silver to start working to it's full potential.
even so he should not be getting temps that high, can u give me a link to the case u have so i can get an idea of where all the fans are and also make sure nothing is blocking the intake fan and sorting all the wires out and neatening them up will help airflow
Old 01-15-2006, 03:32 PM   #16
Fully Optimized

If he has one intake and two exhaust, I'm sure he has either a side intake or a front intake, with the exhaust fans at the back. If you don't, though, change them around so that all the fans on the back of the case blow out and the side/front fans pull air into the case. That's how it should be, though I've heard some people have air pulling out from their side window. I don't think that's the correct way, though, seems stupid to me.
Jamxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 04:25 PM   #17
Fully Optimized

i agree a side window fan should deffinately be an intake fan even if u have 2 on the side they should still be both intakes to suck in air and blow it onto the cpu/vid card, jamxx i see that uve reached 2.8GHz gj
Old 01-15-2006, 05:51 PM   #18
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to b182tm

Ok, so here's the deal. When it was at 70 C, I noticed it was 80 degrees F in my room (27 degrees celcius). Now I am at about 68-69 degrees fahrenheit (around 20 celcius) and it is idling at 43-45 celcius. Keep in mind it had been on a while when it reached 70 celcius though. I have a fan in the front, blowing in, one side blowing in, and two in the back acting as exhausts. The side fan and exhaust fans are pretty weak (very quiet, not much air movement) but when I put a fan blowing on high directly into my case, it only changed temps about 2-3 C. Oh, and here is my case...http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/UltraCase/. They dont make it anymore, so I couldnt find a store selling it.

Thanks a ton for the help guys,
Derek
Old 01-15-2006, 06:18 PM   #19
Golden Master

Sounds about right. What CPU you have? Pentium 4? With the fans that you have, you shouldn't have any problems with cooling. I know people that have just 2 80mm fans and they're running high 30's idle in their Pentium 4.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:24 PM   #20
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to b182tm

Yeah, P4, 3.0GHz 530J. Not overclocked. I still think the cooling issue isnt fixed, because it gets up to like 70 after a few hours.

Thanks,
Derek