What makes a monitor a HD Monitor?

thelethalblow

Baseband Member
What are the requirements for a HD Monitor?

I have been looking at monitors lately and notice that some are listed as High Definition monitors, such as many monitor from Gateway. When comparing the HD monitors to monitors not listed as HD I notice the majority of the specs are the same. Note that the models I have been comparing all have 1680 x 1050 resolution (native), I believe the minimum specs for HD resolution are 1280 x 720. The monitors I have compared all have DVI connection, not sure if that is a necessary for high def.

1) Is there really a difference between these models listed as high-def or is this more of a marketing gimmick? What is the difference?
2) If there is a difference, how big is the difference between watching HD on your PC with a HD monitor and a non HD monitor?

Well I looked more into HDCP more after seeing that link and released how ridiculous this really is. For my PC to be able to play HDTV / DVD / Blue-Ray when HDCP content is flagged I would need the following components, if they are even available yet:

For Video:
|| HDCP Monitor (DVI or HDMI connection only accepted for HDCP HD)
|| HDCP Video Card
|| HDCP Software
|| HDCP HD-DVD / Blue Ray Player Drive (to view HD discs)
|| HDCP TV Tuner Card (for tv tuner use on your pc with HD)

For Audio: (digital audio outputs only)
|| HDCP Sound Card/Device
|| HDCP Speakers

Heres the best part, "So what happens if your display devices aren't HDCP and you have HDCP content?" You may get "digitally generated image snow on the screen". Ohhh the irony...

Back
Top Bottom