Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-25-2006, 02:21 AM   #41
Golden Master
 
alvino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,967
Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default Re: What makes the Athlon 64 so good?

Whatevers, we're both fanboys.
__________________

alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:23 AM   #42
Golden Master
 
MikeReiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,053
Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner
Default Re: What makes the Athlon 64 so good?

Quit your whining. I like both intel and AMD.. niether has failed me.. i'll just buy whichever is faster a the time when the time to buy comes.

And yes, just because the AMD K8 is out performed by leaps and bounds my the core 2 duo, does not mean it is obsolete. You can still go buy one and not have any problems with modern day games or other applications. Now if you went and bought a PII (or the AMD equivilent), you would have some huge performance issues.. thus, k8 is not obsolete.
__________________

MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:29 AM   #43
BSOD
 
Sytheious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 245
Default Re: What makes the Athlon 64 so good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeReiner
Quit your whining. I like both intel and AMD.. niether has failed me.. i'll just buy whichever is faster a the time when it comes out.

And yes, just because the AMD K8 is out performed by leaps and bounds my the core 2 duo, does not mean it is obsolete. You can still go buy one and not have any problems with modern day games or other applications. Now if you went and bought a PII (or the AMD equivilent), you would have some huge performance issues.. thus, k8 is not obsolete.
No one is whinning...

Anywho, The Athlon64 is obsolete. The X2 line up replaced the standard 64s. Doh! And, if we take a look at the word "obsolete," we can clearly see that it is...

ob‧so‧lete  /ˌɒbsəˈlit, ˈɒbsəˌlit/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ob-suh-leet, ob-suh-leet]
to make obsolete by replacing with something newer or better

Vwala. Somethign NEWER or BETTER. X2 ftw...
Sytheious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:31 AM   #44
Golden Master
 
MikeReiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,053
Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner
Default Re: What makes the Athlon 64 so good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sytheious
No one is whinning...

Anywho, The Athlon64 is obsolete. The X2 line up replaced the standard 64s. Doh! And, if we take a look at the word "obsolete," we can clearly see that it is...

ob‧so‧lete  /ˌɒbsəˈlit, ˈɒbsəˌlit/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ob-suh-leet, ob-suh-leet]
to make obsolete by replacing with something newer or better

Vwala. Somethign NEWER or BETTER. X2 ftw...
Well, if you want to get down right technical and specific, then you could say the K8 is obsolete, but we don't all think like that. Just because the fastest processer makes everything below it obsolete doesn't mean we wont buy anything but the best.

I only think of something in terms of computer hardware as obsolete when it wont fulfill my needs.. which happens to be atleast 40 fps in most conditions with medium or low graphics settings.

When it reaches the point that all single core CPUs can't run whatever it is that I want to run, THEN I will consider single core CPUs obsolete.
MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:34 AM   #45
Golden Master
 
alvino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,967
Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default Re: What makes the Athlon 64 so good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sytheious
No one is whinning...

Anywho, The Athlon64 is obsolete. The X2 line up replaced the standard 64s. Doh! And, if we take a look at the word "obsolete," we can clearly see that it is...

ob‧so‧lete  /ˌɒbsəˈlit, ˈɒbsəˌlit/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ob-suh-leet, ob-suh-leet]
to make obsolete by replacing with something newer or better

Vwala. Somethign NEWER or BETTER. X2 ftw...
Actually the X2 series is part of the Athlon 64 lineup. AMD labels it as the Athlon 64 X2.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._13041,00.html

EDIT>>> Also, it's viola! Not vwala.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:35 AM   #46
BSOD
 
Sytheious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 245
Default Re: What makes the Athlon 64 so good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeReiner
Well, if you want to get down right technical and specific, then you could say the K8 is obsolete, but we don't all think like that. Just because the fastest processer makes everything below it obsolete doesn't mean we wont buy anything but the best.

I only think of something in terms of computer hardware as obsolete when it wont fulfill my needs.. which happens to be atleast 40 fps in most conditions with medium or low graphics settings.

When it reaches the point that all single core CPUs can't run whatever it is that I want to run, THEN I will consider single core CPUs obsolete.
Which is why I agree with you. By DEFINITION(!) it is, however, this only makes the products within that line up cheaper, thus more desireable to purchase and use. Which is why Pentium4 CPUs are like $70 right now. Making them QUITE desireable for my LGA775 build in the near future. They're cheap, solid, and play games at more then adequet settings.

I guess all in all the word "obsolete" is rather subjective and open to interpretation.
Sytheious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:49 AM   #47
Golden Master
 
MikeReiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,053
Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner
Default Re: What makes the Athlon 64 so good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sytheious
Which is why I agree with you. By DEFINITION(!) it is, however, this only makes the products within that line up cheaper, thus more desireable to purchase and use. Which is why Pentium4 CPUs are like $70 right now. Making them QUITE desireable for my LGA775 build in the near future. They're cheap, solid, and play games at more then adequet settings.

I guess all in all the word "obsolete" is rather subjective and open to interpretation.
Yeah, those p4s are cheap.. but i'd rather get a cheap amd64.. better price-performance ratio there than intel's p4 lineup.

$75 for a 3200+:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103535

$88 for a 3ghz prescott:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116014

the 3200+ is a little bit faster.. runs cooler too.. though I don't think the performance is phenominally faster.

These days.. it's perfect for gamers on a budget. A dirt cheap 3000+ or 2.8ghz p4 can be had for under $70,
a decent mobo for $60 or less,
decent dual channel ram kit of 1 gig of ram for $100,
a good graphics card for $150 (7600GT FTW!)

you get the idea.. a decent gaming computer can be had for around $500 or less these days.
MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:17 AM   #48
BSOD
 
Sytheious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 245
Default Re: What makes the Athlon 64 so good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeReiner
Yeah, those p4s are cheap.. but i'd rather get a cheap amd64.. better price-performance ratio there than intel's p4 lineup.

$75 for a 3200+:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103535

$88 for a 3ghz prescott:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116014

the 3200+ is a little bit faster.. runs cooler too.. though I don't think the performance is phenominally faster.

These days.. it's perfect for gamers on a budget. A dirt cheap 3000+ or 2.8ghz p4 can be had for under $70,
a decent mobo for $60 or less,
decent dual channel ram kit of 1 gig of ram for $100,
a good graphics card for $150 (7600GT FTW!)

you get the idea.. a decent gaming computer can be had for around $500 or less these days.

Might actually go cheaper then that once Vista debuts and DX10 cards start to come out. Along with the new GDDR4 memory, making older cards using GDDR3 cheaper. I would say that now is definetly a good time ot get a good gaming PC, however, I can't totally say to buy one, because once Vista debuts, I get the feeling that older DX9 and DDR platforms will be much much cheaper then they currently are.

I don't want to jump the gun, but I forsee the Pentium D 9xx series of CPUs becoming extremly cheap once 07' rolls around. Dare I say 920 Presler for under $100?

Which makes me wonder what AMD is goign to do once they have their completely integrated platforms...
Sytheious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:03 PM   #49
Golden Master
 
MikeReiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,053
Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner
Default Re: What makes the Athlon 64 so good?

Dunno... but I intend to get a 4200 or 4400 X2 cpu eventually.. hopefully for a decent price. This 3200+ is a tad slow sometimes in ut04 and css.
MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:53 PM   #50
Solid State Member
 
c0d3_z3r0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9
Default Re: What makes the Athlon 64 so good?

CPUs are getting cheaper and cheaper every time, you can definitely build a really powerful gaming rig for around 1000.

The K8 is not obsolete, I have a 64 X2 and I can play any game with all the eye candy turned up and it's still really playeable, i get way over 60 fps on all my games, so far the only limiting factor on my system is the gpu.

But I think single core isn't going to be obsolete any time soon cause there aren't any Dual core apps yet, and games are starting to have dual-core support, so single core is definitely not obsolete.
__________________

c0d3_z3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0