What to look for?

easyrider003

Solid State Member
After reading my last post and the response I got I decided to look into maybe just buying my own parts. I have posted a list of a different computer parts list but I am thinking of changing it up a little. Mainly the processor. I am thinking of going with the phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition. Mainly just thinking ahead for the future. Not sure if the 6 core is really worth spending the money over the quad core.

What do I need to look for when purchasing parts to make sure that all are compatible? I would hate to purchase all these parts and none of them be compatible.

Once everything has been screwed into place, how difficult is it to get all the drivers installed to I can be up and running. Not really a whole lot of computer knowledge but guess you could say I can "hold my own" when need be, if that makes any sense. I would really like to try to build it myself just for the self satisfaction of it.

The original plan was to build my own from the start but got nervous about it when I was told about having to go online to download all the drivers.

Is it really that hard to do? The same system with ibuypower that was 1700$ I can do myself for $1233.48 There may be a few differences with things such as the fan or the gaming case, but as far as the processor and motherboard and memory they are the same with a 800 watt power supply.

Well, forgive me if this is to vast, I'm not really good at defining things, but here gos: CPU socket type, RAM type, bus speed and capabilities of you CPU (multiplier, bus speed). Most parts are compatible, but you should know your stuff when buying them. As for drivers, it shouldn't be that hard. Get them on another computer for the intended OS and put them on a flash drive, CD or on the HD by putting it in another computer. Then install them when you have installed your OS.

Its really not that hard to do.. and if you are saving yourself $500, its surely worth the effort!

Plus you know when you are building your own, you are putting good quality parts (not skimping on cheapo PSU's etc) into your system that will last. You're also gonna know the ins and outs of your computer which makes it easier to do a possible repair or replacement.

What do I need to look for when purchasing parts to make sure that all are compatible? I would hate to purchase all these parts and none of them be compatible.

R.E the parts - If you're following blueprints of a pre-built system everything should be fine compatibility wise. If you are unsure, look the parts up on the internet (new egg or wherever) and look at the specifications of them - They will usually say 'compatable with Intel I3 I5' etc or 'Compatable with AMD2+ AM3 Sockets' etc etc

Theres also internet sites and forums (US!) that provide extra re-assurance.

Once everything has been screwed into place, how difficult is it to get all the drivers installed to I can be up and running.

A simple google will find you the newest drivers for your hardware. Try the specific product makers websites (AMD.... ATI etc etc) for the most up to date versions and will save you time trawling the internet elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom