What is locking a workstation/account

Celegorm

Site Team
Staff member
this quote from Raffaz is what got me wondering...

Raffaz said:
Did you know Windows Key + L locks your workstation, brilliant for those who are up and down from there desk a lot

i've seen it as an option in vista on the reformed start menu, and i can't figure out what it does. All it seems to do is switch user. you can log back in by clickin the ID and everything is just as functional. or is it so if you ahve a user password that people need to enter it before comming back to screen?

celegorm said:

i've seen it as an option in vista on the reformed start menu, and i can't figure out what it does. All it seems to do is switch user. you can log back in by clickin the ID and everything is just as functional. or is it so if you ahve a user password that people need to enter it before comming back to screen?

bingo...

celegorm said:

Yeah, if you have a password, you have to enter it.

It's basically the same as switching users.

Its basically for stopping people accessing your stuff, its handy for multiple users, especially if your at work and your gonna leave your computer for any amount of time (stops ya boss checking)

Oh, and it will only work if you have a password setup for your user account

I use it on my home PC, almost religiously. I get up, even just to walk 5 feet and get something, out of habit I lock it. I make DARN sure that every time my ass leaves my chair, it's locked. No question.

Argh, the other day I left my account open, my dad comes in, reads all my open IMs...let's just say it didn't end up very well.

freestyler105 said:
Argh, the other day I left my account open, my dad comes in, reads all my open IMs...let's just say it didn't end up very well.

Another great reason to lock your PC. Can't tell you who many times Win. Key + L has saved my ass from sure punishment from the parentals. Baaaaad IMs.... :eek:

Back
Top Bottom