What kinda socket do i have?

The_Conmaster

Baseband Member
I was wondering if anyone knew any programs that tell me what kinda socket i have cause i was thinking about getting an AMD Athlon 3400+ processor cause i only have an AMD Sempron 3000+ LOL and im not sure if the Athlon would fit in the same socket or do i need to get a new motherboard too?

haha i guess dick smith electronics is pretty crap then isnt it haha well that new zealand for you ill go to that link then

Umm ok i downloaded the program and looked at my CPUID properties and its says under platform ID (CBh Socket A) so ummm what is a socket A?

Oh man, that is like the oldest socket used by AMD. The original Athlon was the Slot A, then they switched over to the Socket A for the Athlon and Athlon XP. After that, the Socket 754 and 939 came out for higher end CPUs. Somehow in between the Sempron was squeezed into the mix of budget CPUs using the older Socket A and Socket 754.

It is out of the question for you to get the 64-bit version. I would just leave with what you have. Your CPU is already at it's high end for that particular socket and upgrading to an Athlon XP won't really help.

Your next solution for upgrade may be to change out the motherboard and CPU all together. Then get some new RAM for it.

Well i guess i dont need the Athlon but my friends keep going on my processer is crappy and i should get an Athlon cause it will run my pc way faster. They have a Pentium 4 2.8ghz each but i hate those Intels and their computers always overheat lol.

Back
Top Bottom