What i have

Well, Thats true, But i don't think there is much more life in this board. But it has served its purpose wouldn't you think? It kept me going till i could afford a newer board. Thanks again for the board!! Wd65

I knew that the board was very old but I'm glad I got you this far. :thumb:

By the way, you got some parts you can sit on, the CPU and the two DDR2 sticks, just in case.

Pays to read all you can. What i like is i can use it with old ddr2 and a am2, later i can go with ddr3 and a fx 8 core processor. Same board and i got it for 54.00!! Not to shabby! Its not a A-10 but some of the speeds the FX can get it would be a close 2nd. Better than what i used to have, Amd Athlon 64X2 4800+ and 4 gigs of ddr ram.

You should probably look at the CPU support list, The best FX CPU you will probably be able to run is the FX4320 which only has 4 cores

FX-4320

ASRock > N68C-GS4 FX

If i remember correctly 32 bit only uses max ram of 3.35 gigs. 64Bit uses everything i can put in it.

Just to add a note of clarification;
32bit processing can only address 4GBs of memory but Windows will almost always only make 3.85 available.
64bit processing can theoretically address 16 Exabytes of memory.

Pays to read all you can. What i like is i can use it with old ddr2 and a am2, later i can go with ddr3 and a fx 8 core processor. Same board and i got it for 54.00!! Not to shabby! Its not a A-10 but some of the speeds the FX can get it would be a close 2nd. Better than what i used to have, Amd Athlon 64X2 4800+ and 4 gigs of ddr ram.

Coming from an AMD Fan boy (I speak of me) this is hard to say; I would start transitioning away from AMD, or at least not invest too much in their FX series. I have the FX8350 Black with 8 cores... only to find out later that AMD lied about the number of actual "cores" and there are really only 4. This also appears to effect Windows with how it assigns tasks and how the CPU is able to handle said tasks.

I haven't read up on the new AMD chip lineup and if they have this same deception, and realistically for average use you'll likely never notice anything to the point of frustration.

The 8320 has that setup, but again, there's not a whole lot you'll notice unless you really try to stress the chip.

On another note; I HIGHLY recommend getting an after market cooler for the AMD chips. The stock ones keep the idle temps above 50, which is horrible for chip life.

Last edited:
Check this out!!

AMD FX-8320E 4GHz 8-Core Black Edition AM3+ Processor 95 watt.

True, but the CPU support list only goes up through X6 core CPUs.

I haven't read up on the new AMD chip lineup and if they have this same deception, and realistically for average use you'll likely never notice anything to the point of frustration.

The Ryzen line appear to be true multi-core CPUs. The quads run eight threads, the hexes run 12 threads, etc. Even the upcoming Threadripper chips look to be solid.

I have always been an AMD guy as well, back from the socket A days. I had hopes for Bulldozer but Ryzen is the real deal.

I started with the intel p4 days and switched to 939 chipsets. I stayed that way till now in the last couple of months. Back before the Pentium 4, i also used Pentium 3 and 2. The Athlon 64X2's were way faster. Now i am ready to do it again. with ddr2 and am2 crap... Next i most likely will do the am3+ with a fx crap. For no more than what i do, a FX 8 core will handle it ok and 8 gigs of ddr3 should help out the rest of the way.If that isn't enough i can always go with 16 gigs of ddr3. Unless the board goes that is the plan. Who knows, If i live long enough i may try a I-9 to see how they work. say in 15-20 years.... At least if i screw it up, I am not into a lot of money.:whistling:

Back
Top Bottom