What i have

Wallaby Dan

Fully Optimized
So at AMD's advice i am starting this thread. I do mostly web surfing and some games but don't need a over clocked or for that matter a super fast processor. Celery was good enough to give me a motherboard with ram and processor. Its a older model am2 with ddr 2 ram. The board is limited to 2 gigs of ram. I am also starting to have a isue with the display board. The board doesn't have a 16X slot for my Geforce 710 so i am running into that issue.
This is my option as i don't have a lot of funds for a new system right now. AsRock makes a special board that has am2,am2+,am3, am3+ Ddr2 and Ddr3
Its AsRock N68C-GS4 Has geforce 7025/ Nforce 630a can handle up to 8 gigs of ram in ddr2 and 16 gigs in ddr3. Comes with Sata3 X 4 and one ide. This board would give me expansion for the old processor and ram to newer FX processors like a fx8300 black edition 3.3 am3+ 95 watt pcu. and like said, up to 16 gigs of ram(ddr3). I know its still old school but am thinking this would be the easier way for me right now. I can use my newer 710 graphics card as it does have 16X and two pci slots and one 1X slot too. The board it new at newegg for $49.99. For kicks i found a Athlon 64X2 6000+ and two sticks of 4 gigs total ddr2 800mhz for less than 20 bucks. So, for 70. bucks i have a new board and more powerful pcu and more ram. Am thinking about using that till later when i can build up enough funds to get the fx processor and ddr3 ram. Any other ideas for this board. Different pcu or different ram whatever you think that might make this board run better. SSI just don't give you much funds to work with. Keep that in mind when talking about what upgrades i could do with this combo. Basic, looking for better bang for the bucks and expandable to future needs. If i go the fx route its new 88.00 bucks and i can get 8 gigs of 1600 ddr3 ram for 56.99. That would be the best for the board. Thats later though. Anyway it keeps my costs down. :eek:

How about the video card I sent with the mobo? Will that get you by for now?

Also you'd want to make sure that your PSU have the wattage you need and the setup you want to get are gonna be a big improvement since you'll get out of that 2 gig memory limitation.

Last edited:
Ah so. :cool:

Say Dan, is there an Intel 1155 mobo with the DDR2 and DDR3 slots?

Remember I offered you my Celeron G540 CPU for free and it's faster.

Attachments

• Screenshot (483).jpg
    Screenshot (483).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 9
It would be helpful to know what's your exact budget and the components you have that could be used with any build. So far you have a Storage drive and a GPU, and maybe a PSU.

You could find used components on ebay and build, let's say a Celeron or Pentium PC. I think with $100 or less you could find decent used parts. You could also sell the ones you have right now.

Given his budget he had a plan laid out to his best idea. Giving him my CPU will make it better providing that there's a 1155 mobo with DDR2 and DD3 slots.

That's what we're working on.

Genuine Dell Optiplex 390 Series Socket LGA1155 DDR2 SFF MOTHERBOARD F6X5P No pci except pci16X. Max ram is 4 gigs No upgrade ability 20.00 bucks. I don't think i want to go that way Celery. I think i would be better off with the AMD and ddr2 ram. I think i will get the ram and pcu for the 20.00 bucks. When i get the other board i should be set for awhile. I am not to sure about the ram on this board but there is ram for amd and some for intel. Don't know which one i have right now. I think they made a regular ddr 2 too, but don't know for sure. The ram i can get is for AMD only. I have no clue what the difference is between them.

Nah, we don't wanna do that, not with a computer branded board. Let's go your way then. :thumb:

By the way, the ram is generic brand so you should be ok. Won't hurt to look at the ram compatibility chart for said board to play it safe.

The way I figured it out, it has to do with how many chips are on the ram module.

Last edited:
I don't get why you want to buy CPU, RAM and motherboard for an outdated platform. Why not just sell what you have now and invest in something newer and more upgradeable? The money difference is not much and it would be a far better option.

Back
Top Bottom