what is high temp

Maybe some of you guys are talking fahernheit while others are speaking celsius, i think thats where the confusion is.

Well 65 degrees Farenheit would be like 18 degrees Celsius and that's ridiculously cool for that type of processor. I think he meant Celsius. But I believe you are running within normal parameters like what "money_man" said given your CPU info.

The maximum temp that particular processor can handle is up to 85 degrees Celsius, while Athlon 64's can withstand much lower temps such as in the 70's.

Whatever, I just assumed that it was high cuz I knew my amd 64 could only go to like the 72 or something like that I forget. I figured that the XP was either the same or had a lower treshold, but I guess I was wrong. Still, you might wanna lower it a little, but you are safe.

have you tried resetting the heat sink with a better thermal paste? make sure you only use a think layer though! i recommend something like Premium Thermal Compound Kit (link: http://www.pcloft.com/comaprthcoki.html) 65c is far to high for that type of Cpu like everyone says. E.g I have a 2600+ That runs at around 26c idle (suppose i have a Asus star ice But Nvm)

kind regards

Thaks guys i glad to hear that it is normal, but i think i will replace the thermal place like you suggested. thanks alot

Well i fixed my overheating problem ( sort of), my case did not have good air flow so the heat wasnt going anywhere. It was a soyo case that had two fans. i decided to change cases cause i like my new better! It has 5 fans ( one on top, one on the side, one in the back, and two in front) needless to say there is better air flow, but i still have trouble with it. my cpu temp is down from 68C to 54C just from the air flow, but i have a radeon 9200SE (yeah it sucks!) and it heats up to at least 60's ( i dont have a temp measured for it but guessing from touch its about 60's) and thats just from turning on the computer. it gets worse when i play games with it.

I was wondering if you think its from a bad card or the motherboard?

ive tried to take off the heatsink to put a much better one on but its glued on there and i dont want to destroy mine like my friend destroyed his( which is now fixed FYI)

Nooooooope...

Clean both the cpu and heatsink surfaces with a soft dry cloth. A dot of Artic Silver 5 about the size of a grain of rice right on the inner square will do just fine. Too thick and it will act like a blanket and keep the heat IN the cpu chip. Spread the paste out with the edge of a plastic card till the center square is evenly covered. Install the cpu chip then the heatsink/fan and latch the stack down. PLUG IN THE FAN. Don't forget. I let the stack sit at boot idle for about 10 mins before putting the spurs to her. Use the paste and NOT the adhesive.

And the rest of you guys, just to let you know. Comparing AMD and Intel temps is an apple and oranges type of thing. Both have unique cooling requirements. And have to be approached as such. AMD with a cooling system failure can have its life exspectancy counted in seconds, on one hand. While Intel has the ability to throttle back or shut down if the cooling system should fail. However a common thing to note is failure includes improperly installed heatsinks.
Also while I have your attention. Please stay with either C or F temp markers all through out the thread as to reduce confusion within the thread.

just a quick note. i found that if you buy a retail system allredy made up, then they use that crappy silicone thrmal paste. it dries out after 6 months of use and the temp will quickly get worse. if this applies to you, you'll probably observe a significant reduction in temp if u clean off that crap and use arctic silver.

good luk

its really high. you better change your cooling system or else your athlon cpu will be damged. anyway, athlon cpu is known for that. i've damaged a lot of athlon cpu's due to temperature and now im really careful about that.

Back
Top Bottom