What happens if........

sexy shrimp

Solid State Member
I was recently going to run a disk defrag on my hdd so I went to the defrag program and hit analyze. ( i have done this before). It then stated that "chkdsk" was scheduled to run therefore defrag couldn't, and it said to run chkdsk. So assuming that chkdsk was Check Disk I went to that program to run it. When i started the program it took about 10 seconds to go through phase 1. Once it was done it yelled back at me saying " Windows was unable to complete the Check Disk" That was all she wrote. So i now cannot run defrag or check disk. I think there are some files corrupted on my hard drive, but what do you do when the program that checks for that is corrupted itself. Can i get a program online that can do the same as Check disk and defrag? Any help would be appreciated. I am running Windows XP Pro.
Thanks so much.

yes there are some other programs that can defrag the hdd. Just google somethign like defragging software and u should find some.

Thanks, i will do that. Also, how can i fix the problem? Should i email Microsoft? Not quite sure whayt to do about the program itself. I dont want to just leave it but if thats what needs to be done, then......

don't know how u can fix it. Maybe try a repair install of win xp. U would most likely get it fixed if u would reformat, but thats the last resort. (and I don't know if it would be worth it)

I dont want to reformat. After 2 years i finally have my computer just the way i want it....for today lol
I will try a repair install. Would i just insert the disk and click repair. I am asumming that it would go through all the OS files on my computer and repair the ones that it sees are different on the computer than the ones on the disk. Just what I think. please correct me if im wrong.
Thanks

If chkdsk is set to run you will need to reboot your pc, it will run on reboot before Windows loads, try that, it should work. Once it has run you will be able to defrag

Yes, i know that but chkdsk is broken. It wont run. So until i can get chkdsk to run, then defrag wont run either.

Pop your XP cd in the rom drive, cancel auto run, go to start > run > type in sfc /scannow, (note the space between sfc and the / if typed incorrectly it won't run) this is a system file checker that will replace corrupt windows system files.

If that doesn't work do a repair install of windows (note, repair install, not recovery panel)

Also, will it reset all my settings or strictly just fix those files only. I just dont want anything to go wrong. Hope you understand

Back
Top Bottom