What happened in my home last night?

darkserpant

In Runtime
Last night we had a Thunder storm roll by. The lightning cracked and it poured. The electricity never shut because we had a fan on in the bedroom and it never shut off. When I got up this morningI went down to the bottom floor and noticed that there is no electricity. But I have electricity upstairs. No lights no nothing. I started walking over to the breaker box and noticed my desktop which I left on cause I was downloading something overnight. Any way the pc was off just the the rest of the lights bit I could here the pc fan running and my mouse has a little blue light that stays on when it is powered. And that was on, nothing else just those two things. So I go over to the breaker panel and notice that one breaker is tripped. I didn't know that only one breaker can trip from a storm. So I retrip and presto lights down there again. But as soon as I tripped it my computer came to life as it never shut off. It never rebooted like they all do when powered on. It was like it was never off. So I go over to it and nothing works on it. The mouse doesen't work no keyboard. The screen saver is all that I can see. I can't get it to go to my desktop. So I do a hard shut down on it. It reboots but shows that I have a local network cable unplugged. There is a "x" overtop of my two little monitor icon. I have a comcast modem and a wireless router. I uplugged and disconected both of them. And still no internet. I thought the problem would be in one of them. But I also have a laptop. I fired it up and I have internet. So would I be right and assuming that my cable modem is working and sending the signal to my wireless router which also has to be working since I have the internet on my laptop. I am just trying to cancel those two things out so I can figure out what this nightmare is. Please somebody help me.

Go to device manager on your desktop and check on your pci card/ethernet port for any problems. How many ports does your router have..are you plugging the laptop into the same port or a diff port from your desktop? ..same network cable or diff cable?

I went to device manager and the only ports I see there is comunications and printer which are both working properly. My router has 4 ports. My laptop isn't plugged into any of the ports. It's a wireless router. I am using 3 ports of the router. My pc is one and my direc tv dvr is one and my ps3 is one. Which other then my pc they all have internet.

you might have to reconfigure your wireless adaptor on your desktop either that or just use your laptop for now

Back
Top Bottom