What GPU should I get?

StratosP

Fully Optimized
Hey, I'm stuck with what graphics card I want to get. I'm getting the AMD Phenom X4 II 945 or the 925.

I'm leaning towards the HD4870, GTX280 or the 9800GT/X/X2

I want to get at least 1gb VRAM.

Is there a difference in GDDR3 and GDDR5? Because the NVIDIA ones only have GDDR3 where as the ATI has GDDR5.

I don't want to spend a fortune. Absolute max of $900.

What is your monitor's native resolution?

And what will the rest of your specs be? Will you be waiting for the new chipsets and DDR3, or going with a 790FX/790GX?

What is your monitor's native resolution?

And what will the rest of your specs be? Will you be waiting for the new chipsets and DDR3, or going with a 790FX/790GX?

The monitor for my new computer will have a resolution of 1920x1080. (22")

The specs for the new comp:
AMD Phenom II X4 3ghz 8mb cache
random asus am3 ddr3 mobo
4gb DDR3 1333 RAM
1tb HDD

That must be a pretty sweet 22" if it can do 1920x1080, most only go up to 1680x1050.

I'd say HD 4870 1GB since your mobo won't support SLi. Powercolor's card is great.

That must be a pretty sweet 22" if it can do 1920x1080, most only go up to 1680x1050.

I'd say HD 4870 1GB since your mobo won't support SLi. Powercolor's card is great.

Hmm, I think it will be good since it's with AMD (owners of ATI)

And yeah the monitor is pretty sweet. Between $200 and $300 it has HDMI/Full HD 1080p, great resolution, 5ms response, D-Sub, DVI etc

900 beans for a video card? You should call up SGI and see what they can sell you.

I gotta feeling it's some rich company...

Well, my dad said he'll pay a max of $900. He usually makes a small limit. TOO LOW, but today he said $900. But that doesn't mean I'll go ahead and waste all his money, I'm trying to find something that is good and will last. Like a ATI HD4870.

I don't get you two :p

Anyway, like I said before, I don't wanna waste my dads money. No way am I getting the GTX, they're too expensive. Probably an ATI HD4870, and my backup would be a 9800.

But I made up my decision!

~ATI HD4870~

I don't get you two :p

Anyway, like I said before, I don't wanna waste my dads money. No way am I getting the GTX, they're too expensive. Probably an ATI HD4870, and my backup would be a 9800.

But I made up my decision!

~ATI HD4870~

I'm definitely not saying get one, they aren't even for gaming, they're for video editing, I was just taking a jab at what's his face...

if you can, keep checking this link: open box ASUS EAH4870X2 - $375, the price leave plenty of room to spare in the budget to get a top notch psu to power it if you can convince your dad that the psu would be a wise investment to protect the first investment, the total price tag w/a quality psu would probably be somewhere around $500 and give you top notch gaming performance and limit the spending to about half of what your dad is allotting, a win win situation if you ask me...

it's open box but all that means is that you'll have to download the drivers (it won't come with a disc) and you won't get any adapters, but if you have bought any cards in recent years you probably have all the adapters you need...

Back
Top Bottom