Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default What in God's name just happened...

Just installed a an H70 on an AMD fx 81xx chip. If you need more info on all the hardware, lemme know.

Anyway, installed the cooler, did the moment of truth first boot and it booted...was running 9-12C according to Core Temp. VERY cool.

Cranked up linX and it ran for over 4 min. I turned around for 10-15 sec and, when I looked back, no joke Core Temp said 143C...0_0

"That can't be right..."

Stopped linX, temps quickly dropped back down to ~10C. As I sat amazed at what I just saw, I opened Core Temp to see the Max temp.

...TWO...HUNDRED...FIFTY...FIVE...

MAX OF 255C!!

I...just...I was shocked. Beyond shocked. I'm still amazed. The thing was running perfectly, too!

Then, *poof*...it turned off. Never to start again.

Power supply (Corsair 800W) light turns orange when the power supply is switched on, as soon as you push the power button, onoff...power supply light is red.

What...the...hell...just...happened...

I'm blown away right now. 40 - 142C in a second? 255C Max and still running? Is this real?

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

rmp5s1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:55 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: What in God's name just happened...

Hi rmp5s1

Sounds bad !, did you connect the pump power connector to a three-pin header ? because something was not working for your CPU to get that hot.

Core i7 3770K, Gigabyte GA-Z77P-D3, Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO, Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3, ASUS GeForce GTX 650 Ti, Corsair Series CX750w, Intel 320 Series SSD, WD Caviar Black 1TB, Pioneer BDR-207DBK 12x Blu Ray/DVD, Black Night Case, Saitek & Razer, Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64, ZA Antivirus + Firewall
*= WildCat =* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *= WildCat =* View Post
Hi rmp5s1

Sounds bad !, did you connect the pump power connector to a three-pin header ? because something was not working for your CPU to get that hot.
Yea! It was running VERY cool...then, all of a sudden it's nuclear, then...back down to very cool again. I mean...Could Core Temp be wrong?
Old 02-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to ssc456

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp5s1 View Post
Yea! It was running VERY cool...then, all of a sudden it's nuclear, then...back down to very cool again. I mean...Could Core Temp be wrong?
It is certainly possible for CoreTemp to be wrong.
It's by no means 100% accurate.

However it does appear that you have damaged something.

Perhaps the temp sensor was damaged by the very high heat of the CPU (Not necessarily 255) but hot enough to fry your CPU.

Hate to say it but this is kinda the reason I always go with AMD.
There was a video I watched once AMD Vs Intel.

They ran the CPUs then while running took the heatsink off, the AMD simply sat there and literally melted itself while the Intel decided it was too hot to run so begand running ridiculously slow and then crashed completely but was fine when the heatsink was put back on.

Dont Eat Animals, Its Not Good For Them And They Dont Like It!
ssc456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

Double check that Core Temp is in fact in C and not F. Triple or quadruple check the connections everything with the H70.

Is it working now or will it still not turn on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc456 View Post

They ran the CPUs then while running took the heatsink off, the AMD simply sat there and literally melted itself while the Intel decided it was too hot to run so begand running ridiculously slow and then crashed completely but was fine when the heatsink was put back on.
These two statements contradict each other
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post
Double check that Core Temp is in fact in C and not F. Triple or quadruple check the connections everything with the H70.

Is it working now or will it still not turn on?

These two statements contradict each other
Those 2 did contradict themselves...lol. All said, I too prefer Intel.

Core Temp is in C.

I'll go back through it and try to turn it on again on my lunch break. Will post results.

This still blows my mind...
Old 02-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

255C? That's 491F.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSnapWord View Post
255C? That's 491F.
Indeed. Sure is.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc456 View Post

Yeah... welcome to 10 years ago.

That's changed, AMD CPUs use the same thermal protection technologies for their new chips.

A power supply that doesn't turn on doesn't necessarily indicate a bad CPU (sometimes, not always).

In cases like this, unplug everything, hold in the power button, then let go and plug only the essentials back in. Power, Monitor, KB/Mouse.

If the same issue comes up, then look at other options.

I really doubt the AMD chip hit that high of a temp - the FX's will automatically shut off at a certain threshold, just like the Intel chips will throttle down / shut off as well.

Motherboard temperature monitoring whether in software or the BIOS are touchy at best - across both platforms. Pisses me off.
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo View Post

Yeah... welcome to 10 years ago.

That's changed, AMD CPUs use the same thermal protection technologies for their new chips.

A power supply that doesn't turn on doesn't necessarily indicate a bad CPU (sometimes, not always).

In cases like this, unplug everything, hold in the power button, then let go and plug only the essentials back in. Power, Monitor, KB/Mouse.

If the same issue comes up, then look at other options.

I really doubt the AMD chip hit that high of a temp - the FX's will automatically shut off at a certain threshold, just like the Intel chips will throttle down / shut off as well.

Motherboard temperature monitoring whether in software or the BIOS are touchy at best - across both platforms. Pisses me off.
Well...we tested the psu and I was fairly certain it was the MoBo/cpu. His new Z77 board and 3570K just got here today so...Yea. We'll see if it was the MoBo and/or cpu for sure tonight.