Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-24-2005, 09:20 AM   #1
Baseband Member
Default What is firmware

I have recently had trouble with Genie-Soft backup software. I was trying to complete a multi session backup (5GB) and it completed one disc, prompted for disc 2 and then no further prompts. It just continued writing to disc2.

They tell me I need to back up my firmware. I am not sure what they mean by this and their explanation hasnít helped me.

I have Nero installed on my computer and my CD-RW Burner is Imation. I used the Nero Info tool which showed [1.0] G:\CD-RW CDR 6S52 in the top left of the box and Type: CD-RW Recorder and Firmware Version: CDR 6S52.

I went on to the Nero site which states they will not accept responsibility for any firmware updates.

I havenít a clue what Iím supposed to do now. Itís taken me ages to get this far and in all honesty, I donít really know what I am doing. Is the firmware update supposed to be for Nero or Imation. Can anyone help me?

My OS is WinXP Pro

Joe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:39 AM   #2
Golden Master
Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: What is firmware

The firmware would be for your drive since firmware is the hardware updates, and if it was real firmware, it would mean a program on the ROM chip to define what the hardware is,.
rather than software which would be a piece of software.

So it must mean something to do with storing the drives firmware if you've updated it before in the form of a windows driver, just incase your computer were to go bust.
But your drive would have its old firmware on a driver cd or something to know what it is in the first place to make it possible to use it.

So I wouldn't know why it should be coming up with that error in that case, but i wouldn't worry

Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:00 AM   #3
Baseband Member

Thanks Kage for your assurance.
Joe2 is offline   Reply With Quote