What do you guys think?

It's...questionable as to what sort of graphics performance you will see out of that thing versus some other Intel boards - It's PCI-E 1.0.

do you really need that much?
nothing is going to use 16 cores let alone 4
and only 64 bit will use more than 3 gigs of ram

do you really need that much?
nothing is going to use 16 cores let alone 4
and only 64 bit will use more than 3 gigs of ram
Like i said it is a bit over kill, but my old rig had 8gigs of ram and it used about 90% of that and all 4 cores, but i have to use a new program that requires 6gigs just to run, and it will most likely use alot of one cpu, the rest is just in case i wanna double task.

Have you decided on the graphics yet?
If I had that kind of budget, O would get 2 4870x2's.
Now, that is overkill.
No i havent decided yet, but i do need something so that i can use 2 or more monitors and something that works very well with virtually no lag at all.

No i havent decided yet, but i do need something so that i can use 2 or more monitors and something that works very well with virtually no lag at all.

The 4870 X2 is perfectly capable of that. Make sure you motherboard supports Crossfire, though. It should have an Intel-based northbridge for that.

I'm unsure if that's your best option. I haven't really been keeping up with video cards and such, but I know that 4-way Crossfire is incredibly inefficient, especially when you add that last card. Make sure you look through all your options--Nvidia and ATI.

...and make sure your video card suits your need. If you're gaming, then yes, go for something powerful. If you just want to run two monitors it's completely unnecessary. If you're doing Photoshop and such, there are special (and expensive) cards for that. Sorry if you mentioned this stuff already; I'm too lazy to read the damn thread.

Also, I would like to stress that just because you have the money to build this prowess, doesn't mandate that you should. Just because it's paragon to every consumer computer on the market, doesn't mean you need it. I had the budget to build my desktop that's listed below, but I don't ever use any of that power. I'm a student--I don't play games, I don't need a 3.6 GHZ processor nor a 10,000rpm hard drive; it's all useless to me. It's nice to have the power, and to think to yourself "IT'S SO FAST AND AWESOME, AND IT BOOTS UP NOT IN SECONDS, BUT IN MILLISECONDS." But let's be reasonable and not give in to our consumer-whorish tendencies, shall we?

Again--I haven't been following computers for about a year, so I'm a little uninformed right now. But it seems to me that your $1.5k CPU @ 3.2GHZ would perform only marginally better than something more than a thousand dollars less and so forth. Computer power vs. price seems to follow an exponential curve where, rather tragically, price finds itself on the left axis.

Make informed--and intelligent--decisions.

Back
Top Bottom