Xomphos

Baseband Member
Hey,

I got a used, somewhat old laptop a while ago. The specs include:
-1.4 or 1.6 GHz Intel Pentium 4
-30GB HDD
-256 MB RAM
-Wireless-G WiFi Card
-The battery is still good, just lasts 20mins-1:30hrs depending on usage/OS installed on it.
-Windows XP
I used it a lot when I got it, at the time it was pretty good since my desktop PC was only a bit better (could play a bunch of games); however, I recently built a new desktop PC that cost around $500 or so and can play a lot of games just to show how powerful it is.
For a while, the laptop has been sitting in its case in my closet not being used. Is there anything I can use it for? What do you guys do who have a laptop as a secondary computer? I don't travel much so it's not that great there. Also, I don't want to spend money on upgrading it right now. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Why give it to a family member. YOu can sell it and get money. Or trade it to a friend for something.

a file server?
a web server?
give to a family member?

As awesome that would be to use it as a server, wouldn't it be bad to do that with a laptop-leaving it on all day?

Also, this was given to me by a family member.

still would be ok for a web browsing word processing machine , either stick it on e bay or something
just keep it as a web browser in case you have friends over dont wanna be around main machine or if you ever are away from home in starbucks etc

my laptop is pretty weak compared to my desktop but i still do some stuff on it

A web server...........you guys are funny.

Fact is any older desktop or laptop is worth next to nothing. No sense trying to sell it as you won't get much if anything for it. Better off to give it to a friend or family member or just use it when needed. :D

A computer has got to be one of the worst investments ever............the minute you purchase the value starts dropping immediately. With all the technology improvements a new computer is outdatted within 6 months to a year.
The only way to look at a computer is............ it's a necessary toy. ;)

I would either
Run linux on it, up the hard drive and use it as a file server
----
OR
----
Give it to a local charity or school, every little helps.

Back
Top Bottom