What do people think of this system?

I'll probably just go for that value RAM i reckon, unless people suggest otherwise.

It'd really help to have a few more opinions on the HDD front. I'm just torn by your first-hand experiance muz and how much emphasis Samsung seem to put on the quietness of their spinpoint series, which i've found use "NoiseGuardâ„¢ and SilentSeekâ„¢ technologies to keep your drive running quietly", whatever that 'really' means i don't know. I want Sata-II right? Because that Seagate is SATA-100 which is slower isn't it?

Really appreciate your help muz btw. Anyone else want to comment on the HDD situation?

Well it seems that the site doesn't have any Samsung Spinpoint SATAII drives in stock anyway, so the choice has been made for me, Seagate it is.

I've just realised i've forgotten a PSU. How much power do you think 350W would be sufficient?

I think one PC a while back got killed by a cheap power supply, i'm really out to avoid that and don't mind paying a little more for a reliable power supply. Can you get them power-surge protected?

yeah 350W should do but i would go with a decent branded 400W just to be on the safe side

Ok, so to recap, things stand like this:

Case: Lian-Li PC-V300 Aluminum Micro ATX Case
RAM: GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC6400 800MHz DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX21GB6400UDC)
PSU: Antec EarthWatts 380W PSU
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.20GHz (Socket AM2)
Motherboard: Abit AN-M2 Micro ATX (Socket AM2)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 160GB ST3160815AS SATA-II

Does that look ok to most people generally and compatability-wise?

EDIT: I just read a list that advises use of 733Mhz memory for a 4200+ CPU, rather than 800Mhz (which is what is advised for the 3800+). Why is that? I thought faster was better, no questions asked :)S)

Back
Top Bottom