What do I need to run basic FPS smoothly?

NWS

Solid State Member
I mainly play Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat. CS usually runs fine on regular maps, but my fps drop down to the teens and even below 10 on custom maps with wide open spaces. DOD lags horribly almost all the time. So what do I need to run these games smoothly?

I have an off the shelf VAIO with the original parts.

My specs are:

2002 Sony VAIO PCV-rx740

Processor-- AMD Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4 GHz)
RAM installed-- 512 MB DDR SDRAM (256MB x 2)
Cache size - type-- 256 KB L2 cache
Hard drive-- 60 GB Standard

The only upgrades I've done is a new 512MB stick of ram, putting me up to like 730MB ram total.

What else would I need to atleast run this game smoothly?

Thanks.

L0L. It is probally basic integrated cheapo card since it is a viao. Your graphics card is what controls your graphics so it it isnt good enough, it wont play that well. If it doesnt have say 128mb you wont ever proally play it very well on custom maps. This is just my opinion and i am almost SM!! yay.

You will never be able to play games great with that. It's a viao, they arent made to game. Custom maps are probally always going to be a problem for you.

So do you think it's pointless to try and upgrade this comp? I don't really have the money right now to get a custom one built.

dude, buy a graphics card and install it, get like a geforce 5200 its prolly like 60 bucks. Just go buy it and install it, on my old computer, which is a vaio aswell with a 2.0 ghz P4 i installed a geforce 5700 and it can gun HL2 VERY nicely.

O well i wasz assuming it was a lappy. Yea nvm, you can install a new, better gfz card. Wow ok that changes stuff.

Back
Top Bottom