What do I look for when buying RAM?

ThePcGamer

Solid State Member
I'm thinking about buying some cheap RAM sticks. I'm trying to get a decent CPU (So far I've picked out E8500 for $60) and some RAM for cheap.

That's not really the point though, I want to know what I should look for when buying RAM.
All I know right now is that I have DDR2 RAM so I'm going to look for that rather than DDR3 RAM. I know a decent amount about slots in a motherboard regarding cpu and gpu, but when it comes to RAM I have just about no clue what I'm doing.

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

The crucial system scanner will tell you exactly how much of what type of RAM your system can support.

Use the Crucial System Scanner software to find out what type of memory is in your computer

I know that I can only go up to 8GB in total, and I know that I need DDR2 RAM. I want to know if there's anything else I should know about before buying new RAM.
Do I need a specific slot type? Or is it just that I should keep in mind that 8GB is the limit of DDR2 RAM?

There's really only one slot type for DDR2. Nothing else would fit in there. Just make sure you get the right type in terms of whether it's a desktop or laptop.

There's really only one slot type for DDR2. Nothing else would fit in there. Just make sure you get the right type in terms of whether it's a desktop or laptop.

Ok, thank you for the reply. I thought it would require some sort of motherboard thing, that doesn't involve just DDR type.
:)

Back
Top Bottom