What to do..

Shantei

In Runtime
I'm sorry to be an arse, but I'm really annoyed because I bought my computer in parts (this was about 2 months ago) and I got everything and it was all good. But then I realised the board I got wasn't compatible with Crossfire, and I have ATi, and they do the same motherboard in both SLi and Crossfire, so what a wally I look like. So I'm also wondering, if I wanted to get two graphics cards, whether I should change the motherboard and get another graphics card .. or later on buy another 2 Nvidia gpus which I think would kind of outdate the motherboard as well though ... Also when is it worth starting to get 2 gpus? Thanks.

take a look at how much different parts you need will cost. i'm personally a fan of sli, but i'm lucky enough to be getting a used board from a buddy really cheap. it all depends what you wanna do though, personally depending on what card you have and whether or not its capable of crossfire, i'd go with getting another crossfire board and card instead of buying 2 nvideo video cards, prolly be the more cost effective.

If you want dual cards why dont you just go ahead and pick up a CROSSFIRE motherboard and then slap another 1900XT in there (make sure its crossfire edition) unless you already have the crossfire edition then you will be ok.

(then you can sell your current board)

But that will be the cheapest way out if you want 2 cards. Kinda pointless to sell your mobo and card, for a new mobo and 2 nvida cards.. too expensive also...

My personal recommendation - Unless you do heavy video editing and such, you don't really need SLI/Crossfire. You'd be better off just waiting for the DirectX 10 compatible graphics cards to come out in a few months.

Anyway, if you really want SLI/Crossfire, it would probably be cheaper to just buy a new motherboard. You're going to want a nice one anyway for upgrading purposes and system stability, so just use the card you have.

If I may ask, which card are you planning on using for SLI/Crossfire?

freestyler105 said:
My personal recommendation - Unless you do heavy video editing and such, you don't really need SLI/Crossfire. You'd be better off just waiting for the DirectX 10 compatible graphics cards to come out in a few months.

Anyway, if you really want SLI/Crossfire, it would probably be cheaper to just buy a new motherboard. You're going to want a nice one anyway for upgrading purposes and system stability, so just use the card you have.

Oh just the one I have now .. Games that use Direct X 10 won't be out for quite a while and also, will it be possible to have like a Direct x 10 corssifre edition graphics card with a non direct x 10?

freestyler105 said:

Look at his sig........

(so Shantei have you decided what your going to do????)

Erm well, I'm guessing it would be better to buy a new motherboard, but it's selling the other one which is going to be a pain .. but it is new .. also theres Direct X10 to consider, is it worth spending all that money to find out later some games won't play because Direct X10 is needed? Or if Direct X10 won't be used in games for a couple of years then that'd be useful. Also I'd need to upgrade my PSU :)

Personally i am waiting for DX10 cards as are many.

i wouldnt spend alot, just what you need to get by :D

Actually, I don't know if you've heard about Crysis. but it's a DirectX10 game and it's scheduled out late 2006 - early 2007. There's more, I know Halo 2 for PC is due out with the launch of Vista, and most good games released in 2007 will have have DX10 support. This doesn't mean that they NEED DX10, but they will simply look better with it. I figure in 2-3 years DX10 will become a standard and DX9 will be gone.

For the current games out there though, a single X1900XT should be more than powerful enough.

EDIT: As for a new PSU, make sure it has 500 Watts and Upwards. Antec is a high quality brand, so is OCZ. Can't seem to remember any others right now, and also the Rosewill one I have is going for about $80 and it's pretty nice. I'm pretty sure some PSU's are SLI or Crossfire certified, which means that they are guaranteed to work with it.

P.S. I need a dunce cap, thanks for pointing that out LambOfGod

Back
Top Bottom