What are the different types of Ram

superman22x

Golden Master
I might buy some new Ram. I have a couple questions, how many different types of Ram are acctually for sale. I have a dell 4600 and have no clue what type of Ram I need. I used to think RAM was RAM but now I see there are many different kinds of Ram. If someone could tell me where to look to find what type of RAM I have please tell me. I think my computer goes slow cause I have many applications and need more RAM to support the apps. I have 512mb and think I should upgrade to 1gb. Not sure. Adobe Premiere pro is a HUGE program. Maybe I should upgrade my video card too. I only have a geforce fx5200. I am already trying to upgrade my 80gb hardrive.

uhh the type of ram u need depends on the type of mobo u have. there are ddr and ddr2 type rams (not sure about ddr3, havent been keeping up technology). ur mobo would definitly support ddr 400 or below. i would recommend getting a stick of 512mb ddr400 (pc3200)

ram for your dell is as bellow, that is acording to the dell web site.

RAM
RAM installed 512 MB
Max supported RAM 2 GB
Memory specification compliance PC2700
Memory speed 333 MHz
RAM features Two DDR channels
RAM form factor DIMM 184-pin
RAM technology DDR

it might be going slow because you have lots of things running on it which you are not using.
how many proggrames do you have running after booting up?
woz

there are 10 little icons in the bottom corner, but tehy are like virus scan, dell support, and the printer is antother if thats what you mean.

yes, well i bet you dont need all of them running all of the time.
why have the dell support running all of the time?
i use a programme called winpatrol, it is a usefull tool that tells you all of the programmes that are running on your p.c. you can disable them using winpatrol, and you can enable them if you need to have them running. it also alerts you of suspicious behavior from programes, and alerts you when programes are trying to run without your permission. it is free and you can get it at majorgeeks.com. i know there are plenty of other programmes that do this, but i think this one is simple and effective.
woz

Back
Top Bottom