What is dead. PSU, GPU or Motherboard?

thiskory1

Solid State Member
Hey guys. Recently I was on my computer and I walked away to do laundry while it was idling the Diablo 3 beta and I came back to my computer to find that the screen was black, I wiggled the mouse thinking it went into sleep mode and nothing happened. I turned off my computer thinking it may have froze and turned it back on and still no screen. I opened up the case to look at everything and turned it on to find my cpu fan was not spinning and my gpu fan was not spinning at all. The cpu fan would budge the moment I turned on or off the pc but it wouldn't fully spin. I have been trying to figure out what the problem is. Yesterday I sent out my motherboard for a RMA because I thought it was that but now I am thinking it may be my PSU or GPU that is bad, I am not quite sure.

Before anything happened I noticed the USB ports on the motherboard would randomly disconnect and connect again. This started happening more frequently before the computer stopped working. The motherboard will take a few weeks to get back but I really want to be playing Diablo 3 on the 15th of this month (May) when it comes out so have been going crazy trying to figure things out so that I can have a running PC. I had an old LGA 775 MoBo with an old P4 3.0Ghz and 2gb of RAM in there so I decided I would try and see if I could get that working. I plugged everything in and tried to turn it on but my graphics card fan was not spinning again.. I made sure everything was connected properly which it was and tried again and the same thing happened. I have the Antec 900 case which unfortunately doesn't come with a MoBo beep code speaker so I can't hear any beep codes to even see if the MoBo will post. So I am thinking that maybe when the motherboard died, it killed my GPU with it. Or maybe it was never the MoBo in the first place, but then why would my CPU fan not work in the old MoBo and work in the new one? Any thoughts of what it could be? Maybe the PSU's CPU power connector and 6-pin GPU power connecters failed? It's a modular PSU so I guess it's possible but I don't know how often that would happen and how to test any components. Is there any way to check to see if a PSU is bad? or if a GPU is bad? Without actually hooking it up to another computer because I don't have anything to test anything with really.

As nicely as I can I'm going to have to ask that you attempt to be slightly more concise. That being said I would like to have you hook up a different PSU and promise that you'll always try that first (from now on) instead of sending out your motherboard.

Part of me is also thinking...laundry, power surge, high load caused by D3...fried PSU. btw we've all been there pal. Keep your chin up. Plenty of creeps to waylay even after the 15th, and if not they'll respawn.

The laundry facility isn't in my building so it couldn't have been a power surge that caused my PC to fry. As far as me thinking it was my motherboard, I did research on the specific board and people said that specific things like the USB ports, fans, and other components would randomly die. The USB ports started going out before the computer completely broke down so I was thinking that it was the beginning of my mobo breaking. A week after my USB ports started acting funny is when the mobo died. I am thinking that maybe when the mobo went out, the GPU fried from being on too long without a fan? Or maybe there was a short or something on the mobo GPU slot which caused the GPU to fry, I am unsure. I hooked up my PSU to the old 775 board I had laying around and the CPU fan turned on fine but the GPU fan wasn't running which is making me think that it isn't the PSU because on the board that went bad the CPU fan wasn't even working when plugging it in. I am trying to find someones computer I can use to test out my GPU for now, if the graphics card runs fine in someone elses computer, obviously I know the GPU is fine and the power supply is what's bad. If the GPU is no good, that means that maybe the motherboard took it out too when it went out somehow.

I am under the same situation with a Sony Laptop VPCEE45FX the systems turns on. I can hear HD and the fan turning on after a minute or 2 but that is it. I was able to make the display come up after removing GPU and reseating it but it went back to the same dormant state, The computer is just 1 year old. The warranty just expired last month and now I have tried so many things and nothing is working. Any advice on this Sony VIAO

As nicely as I can I'm going to have to ask that you attempt to be slightly more concise. That being said I would like to have you hook up a different PSU and promise that you'll always try that first (from now on) instead of sending out your motherboard.

Agreed. I think signs point to psu being bad. If you can get your hands on a new one, check that out first. If all fails from there, then you could be right about the mobo going.

Best of luck my man.

P.s.
May be a good excuse to build a better rig ;-)

Back
Top Bottom