What CPU do I get? ={

If it's what you want, get the Core i7. Just like everything else, it will become outdated just as AMD will come out with CPU's that surpass even the 955.

When comparing the two The I7 is going to come out on top by a small amount depending on what you are doing with it. I own a 955 and I can say that you are going to be getting a great CPU if you get it.

The thing is by looking at benchmarks and comparing overclockability you have to figure in that each chip is different so it is not a given what your chip will be able to do. Some people hit walls while others can keep pushing it with good results.

It a straight up test you will find that the I7 has more raw computing power due to the multi-threading and also the ability to utilize triple channel ram. If you don't mind spending the extra 100 dollars on the I7 setup than go for it IMO.

In gaming at high resolutions you will find that the 955 has the advantage over the I7 while the I7 will be a clear favorite in encoding and editing. So it actually really depends on much more than just which one is better overall it should be more about which one is better for you and what you plan on using it for.

If you are going to be using it primarily as a gaming machine and will do little or no encoding go with the 955.

If you aren't really a gamer at all go with the I7.

In everyday apps you will find that both are way above what is needed for any type of everyday thing such as media, web, basic gaming, business apps, creating documents and such.

Either way you go the system will be able to handle anything you throw at it and you will be happy with the choice.

What else are you looking to put into the system (GPU, PSU, RAM)?

Also where are you located?

Thanks, PokerGenerate.
I'm in Australia.

I am planning on putting in triple-channel RAM - 6GB of 1600MHz DDR3.
GPU I will leave with me 9600GT for now, but later on will get something more powerful. I'd like to get the 650W EarthWatts Antec PSU.

I use my computer for just about everything. Web Design, Graphic Design, Gaming, Media (viewing, encoding, etc), and so on. My current computer can *handle* what I need it to do (its 2GB 800mhz DDR2, Athlon X2 6400+, 9600GT, etc - but has an awful motherboard, psu, and case), but I'm a geek so I need something nice and powerful.

There's a slight chance I'd like to get Mac OSX installed on the machine, and I know that only works with Intel CPU's.

Well since you do a good amount of editing and encoding I would go ahead and get the I7 you will find it will save you some time with these applications and you will find that at lower resolutions that the I7 will perform right on par with the 955. So The clear choice IMO would be the I7.

No iPC works with AMD.
It just won't have the CPU name listed.

If you want a mac, buy one.
Hackintoshing is not practical unless you build around the compatibility list.

@foothead
Yeah, it's really not a problem, I have a MacBook Pro 17-inch from work anyway. But considering I'm still leaning strongly towards the i7 it doesn't matter anyway.

Back
Top Bottom