What could the problem be?

NLAlston1

Baseband Member
I recently jumped from dial-up internet connection to the Adelphia Cable Broadband service. Since changing, I have been experiencing a host of problems. The one, now, facing me is the inability to access sites or addresses via hyperlinks. Clinking on them will do nothing more than to bring up a blank window, and it would stay like that all night long if I allowed it. At the start of this I would get notice of "A Pop-Up Window Is Being Blocked" at the bottom of the new window. Keep in mind that this was even after all preventive pop-up measures had been exhausted. Yesterday, that notice ceased to surface - but the problem remains the same. The absolute only way that I can activate a link is by right-clicking on it and copying the shortcut - then pasting it into the address bar window and clicking 'Go'. Adelphia tried a number of things with me; could not help to produce a favorable outcome, and told me that it was not a problem with their service - but with my computer. I am using Internet Explorer 6.0 (I believe it is) and have done nothing really different with my system than when I had Walmart Connect (the dial-up service which was very slow, but without any such problems as has been experienced with Adelphia). I had even downloaded and used Mozilla FireFox, but the problem was the same. Does anyone out there have ANY idea as to what might be wrong here?

you could possibly have ur firewall settings turned up to friggen high. If you are using McAfee and have it turned to lock down....well thats ur problem. or any other firewall for that matter. try disabling your firewall and see wut happens. and also turn of windows firewall. and if that dosent work post here that it didnt and ill see wut else i can do or anyone else here at the forums

Arrizx,

Thanks for responding.

You may be right about an excessively high firewall setting but, if so, it wasn't due to any direct actions on my part. I am setup for automatic downloading of Windows Updates, and now that I have this Broadband service it seems that there is almost always an update settling in. I wonder if, maybe, one of these updates automatically changed my settings. I say this because I did not have this problem when using my previous dial-up connection, and I haven't done anything differently regarding security settings. In fact, a quick peek there indicates that I have a 'medium' security setting - and I do believe that this is where it sat previously. My anti-virus program is AVG Free, and I will check to see about a 'lock down' feature within it.

I will disable the firewall, altogether, for time enough to see if it will effectuate a change for the better. I don't much about computers, but have been told that a firewall is VERY necessary as a safeguard against hackers. I know that nothing is tamper-proof, but this is supposed to make such an attempt much more difficult. Hence the reason as to why I am fearful of stripping it of its power for too long.

I really do appreciate your time, effort & input on my issue, and will post back how I make out.

Yeah firewall is important. But u can just shut it down for like 30 secs. That is enough time for u to see if the hyperlinks work when u don't have a firewall.

Well, I deactivated the Windows Firewall long enough to check the issue, and guess what? That's right.....the problem YET remains :confused: . I haven't the slightest clue as to WHAT is going on here, and am quite disappointed in the way that Adelphia has dealt with my situation. Methinks that I will turn this equipment in, go back to my slow (but trusty) dial-up connection until such time as Verizon DSL is offered in my area. I have heard nothing but good things about Verizon's tech support.

Thanks to all for their kind efforts.

NLAlston said:
Well, I deactivated the Windows Firewall long enough to check the issue, and guess what? That's right.....the problem YET remains :confused: . I haven't the slightest clue as to WHAT is going on here, and am quite disappointed in the way that Adelphia has dealt with my situation. Methinks that I will turn this equipment in, go back to my slow (but trusty) dial-up connection until such time as Verizon DSL is offered in my area. I have heard nothing but good things about Verizon's tech support.

Thanks to all for their kind efforts.

Hmm, if u haven't made any changes other than getting a new ISP then they I think that the problem is about their service, not ur computer. So u can just call them again and tell that all of ur settings are the same and if they don't know how to fix the problem u change ur ISP. Or then just keep the current connection, the problem is not too big to handle, atleast to me it wouldn't be. And I would suggest getting a better firewall than the windows one. IMO the windows one is one of the worst there is.

Thanks Daemon,

You know, if it weren't for their (Adelphia's) abrasive manner when I contacted them, over (primarily) this matter, I would not have much of a problem dealing with the inconvenience. The technician was kind of 'hurried', with her meager efforts, and I got the distinct impression that she just wasn't 'with it'. That kind of support isn't what I expected, or will tolerate. Dial-up is going to seem even slower than it was before, coming back on the heels of this broadband connection. At least I know that I can depend on them to be genuinely concerned about any problems that I may have.

Back
Top Bottom