Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #21
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 136
Default Re: What Computer for Children?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63083 View Post
Would this be suitable? A little over what he was wanting in price, but it will last him a good while. Toshiba PSAF3U-0PV00V
Holy smokes! I would get that for myself.Can't really beat something like that as far as specs go.The only thing that would scare me is vista.The only OS I have experience with is XP.I'm a simpleton.Is vista OK?Is vista going to disappear and become a distant memory?
__________________

Juan handed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:37 AM   #22
Fully Optimized
 
jmacavali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,867
Default Re: What Computer for Children?

Yes it is. Windows 7 will be out soon (like October I think) and Vista will be gone. However, you'll be able to get a deal on most sites that will come with a free upgrade to W7 when it comes out.
__________________

__________________
****************************************
Don't take life too seriously -- no one gets out alive. Plus, who wants to arrive to the hereafter in pristine condition wearing a suit and tie?
I want to slide in sideways, worn out, used up, hair a mess, clothes tattered, & screaming, "Whooo! What a ride!"
****************************************
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #23
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 136
Default Re: What Computer for Children?

My apologies for asking this at this point(a bit out of touch) but has vista been a complete bust?
Juan handed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:05 AM   #24
Fully Optimized
 
jmacavali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,867
Default Re: What Computer for Children?

Complete and total from what I understand. I have it on my home computer and haven't had that much trouble with it. But most people hate it, almost like Windows ME...
__________________
****************************************
Don't take life too seriously -- no one gets out alive. Plus, who wants to arrive to the hereafter in pristine condition wearing a suit and tie?
I want to slide in sideways, worn out, used up, hair a mess, clothes tattered, & screaming, "Whooo! What a ride!"
****************************************
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #25
In Runtime
 
essentialx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 243
Send a message via AIM to essentialx3
Default Re: What Computer for Children?

I got my Acer Aspire One Mini Netbook for $278 at WalMart. 10.1" screen. Size of my hand from front to back.
__________________
-Zack
essentialx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #26
Fully Optimized
 
dude_56013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,262
Default Re: What Computer for Children?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan handed View Post
Is vista OK?
Yes. Vista is fine. Your system needs to be a little beefier to run it over XP, but it's been just fine. I find the worst company that sells products with Vista is Acer. Now, normally, they are an okay company, but their budget line comes with Vista and has bare minimum for specs and it runs really slow. This is the reason a lot of people hated Vista; because companies would sell it with bare-minimum specs and it would run like Geo Metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan handed View Post
Is vista going to disappear and become a distant memory?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post
Yes it is. Windows 7 will be out soon (like October I think) and Vista will be gone.
I have to strongly disagree. It absolutely will not. It won't become a distant memory for some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post
However, you'll be able to get a deal on most sites that will come with a free upgrade to W7 when it comes out.
This is true. I just ordered a Sony Vaio laptop (Vista Home Premium), and when Windows 7 releases, I'll get a free upgrade. However, I highly doubt you'll get this deal if you purchase a laptop/desktop from Newegg. Someone can certainly prove me wrong on this, but from what I have seen, it's just companies (Dell, HP, Sony, etc.) offering this from when you order from THEM. Bigger chains might offer the upgrade for free though; such as BestBuy (yucky!) and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan handed View Post
My apologies for asking this at this point(a bit out of touch) but has vista been a complete bust?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post
Complete and total from what I understand.
No, again, I disagree. I've there were problems pre-SP1, but after, there haven't been too many problems. I've been running it for over a year and have yet to have a major problem. Sure, there are some annoying things you have to disable (and they'll be back in Windows 7; such as UAC), but I like Vista over XP. I actually find it more user friendly, no matter what anyone else says. You had to do a lot of things manually in XP that you don't have to do in Vista.

Quote:
Originally Posted by essentialx3 View Post
I got my Acer Aspire One Mini Netbook for $278 at WalMart. 10.1" screen. Size of my hand from front to back.
I'd recommend a laptop with a full size keyboard for the kid(s) to get used to. That's what they'll be using in the "real world". Just my 2 cents on that.
__________________
Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.4GHz || GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 || Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 || EVGA GeForce GTX 480 || Samsung EVO 256GB SSD
my feet get cold and that gives me diarrhea sometimes - Smart_Guy
dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:43 PM   #27
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 136
Default Re: What Computer for Children?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_56013 View Post
Yes. Vista is fine. Your system needs to be a little beefier to run it over XP, but it's been just fine. I find the worst company that sells products with Vista is Acer. Now, normally, they are an okay company, but their budget line comes with Vista and has bare minimum for specs and it runs really slow. This is the reason a lot of people hated Vista; because companies would sell it with bare-minimum specs and it would run like Geo Metro.

I'd recommend a laptop with a full size keyboard for the kid(s) to get used to. That's what they'll be using in the "real world". Just my 2 cents on that.
So,Windows7 is it going to be like a Vista 2.0 ? I get the feeling that people are looking forward to it,for what reason?

What type of specs are anticipated to run Windows7 efficiently?

Yeah,I'm thinking I might go for the full size keyboard,being that is what I believe the school system is using.And since I haven't gotten any feedback telling me that kids are trashing laptops,I'll probably go that way.
Juan handed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:50 PM   #28
Fully Optimized
 
dude_56013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,262
Default Re: What Computer for Children?

Quote:
So,Windows7 is it going to be like a Vista 2.0 ? I get the feeling that people are looking forward to it,for what reason?
W7 is WAY less power/resource hungry than Vista is. I have yet to meet someone who likes Vista over Win7 (lots of us have been testing the W7 Beta and Release Candidates for a while now). I would say it's its own OS. There are a lot of similarities between Vista and W7, but a lot of differences as well. It runs very smooth.

Quote:
What type of specs are anticipated to run Windows7 efficiently?
From MS:
-1 GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
-1 GB RAM (32-bit) / 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
-16 GB available disk space (32-bit) / 20 GB (64-bit)
-DirectX 9 graphics processor with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

Quote:
Yeah,I'm thinking I might go for the full size keyboard,being that is what I believe the school system is using.And since I haven't gotten any feedback telling me that kids are trashing laptops,I'll probably go that way.
Yup. Just set some ground rules and make sure they follow them. Limit their "play" use and such.
__________________
Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.4GHz || GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 || Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 || EVGA GeForce GTX 480 || Samsung EVO 256GB SSD
my feet get cold and that gives me diarrhea sometimes - Smart_Guy
dude_56013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:58 PM   #29
Golden Master
 
01001010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,888
Default Re: What Computer for Children?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neodude112320 View Post
You know an Apple Dekstop might be perfect for what you are after!
Quote:
Macs are generally more child friendly because they focus more on the user experience and are easier to use than PC's.
Sorry, I don't think that's necessarily true. There's still potential to do damage to your own computer if you're not careful. While Mac OS might be more intuitive, it can also be a very powerful operating system if you configure it properly.

It may have a nicer exterior than Microsoft Windows, but it's still the same basic concept. You can't really go wrong either way.
__________________
Stop the genocide now.
↳ www.savedarfur.org

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:10 AM   #30
Omnicide now.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: My own personal hell
Posts: 10,014
Default Re: What Computer for Children?

HEY...

Why has nobody suggested an Xandros Linux Eee PC?
ASUS made the interface extremely simple. My 4 year old cousin can easily use it.
Plus they are like $165 on mwave right now.

Get them each one. Even better.

EDIT: zipzoomfly has the 701sd for $150 if you sign up to wait for it a little.
__________________

foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0