What causes the most strain on a Laptop Battery?

Starguard

Solid State Member
What causes strain on a Laptop Battery?

Is it true that a Dual or Quad core processor will put a heavier strain on the battery?

Depends on the the process in nanometers. There are some quad chips that use less watts than their dual-core counterparts. Of course this pertains mainly to desktop cpu's. Hasn't been the case in mobile processors yet. While the cpu is the main power draw, the graphics is going to be a major player in power consumption also.

Also depends a lot on what you're running and how much of the CPU is being used. I usually mute the sound and turn off wireless too if I don't need them. Every bit helps I guess.

Really depends on what you're looking to do. If you want incredibly long lasting and you don't care how slow it might be, then get an Atom processor as I think the max used is about 5-7. Other wise, Pentium Dual Core is about the sweet spot for general use laptops. Then there is Core 2 Duo, then Core 2 Quad, then the I7. There is also the Celeron Dual Core which comes before the Pentium Dual Core.

If your solely interested in battery life. Get a centrino 2 platform laptop. Atom's ok for netbook (only just), but it's got nothing near the grunt of the original Dothan Pentium M's, nevermind todays C2D's.

Also, unless your using all the cores, there isn't too much a difference between C2D or C2Q as it turns off unused cores (if memory serves).

I second that.

Centrino technology combines hardware specific objects that gets certified for Centrino technology. It implies a CPU, Wireless card and chipset. Maybe something more, but that's the main parts.

I have a laptop like that, and it carries out 2:30 on one single charge. A 6-cell battery.

Back
Top Bottom