What Can I Do To This To Make It A Decent Gaming Computer?

Keatonium

Beta member
Hey everybody!

This is my current computer : Gateway Official Site: Gateway® DX4200-09

I play many games. Tons of them to be exact. And my current computer can only run most of them on low settings. Low settings meaning I have to set everything as low as it can go, and I still only get 20-25 FPS.

I'm looking to upgrade my computer (In anyway possible) so I can play most games on High quality. Some games that I'm shooting for to run on High : WoW, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Team Fortress 2, Portal 2.

My budget is around $200-350. Can you guys help?

Thanks in advance,
Keatonium

For newer games it's about time for a new computer if you want to play on high settings. However for the system you have, with the games you specifically mentioned, just purchase a new Radeon HD series card. Here is a link for one that's $140.

Newegg.com - MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

As for the rest of your money, save it toward buying a new computer in about 2 years.

Do you have any recommendations for a computer? I don't feel like picking all the parts and putting it together myself.

Get a cheap Dell with at least 4GB of ram, then get the above mentioned card from Newegg. You'll do very well and it won't be very expensive.

Might toss in an actual power supply that won't take out his computer as well. At this rate he might as well build it himself. If you don't have a good power supply you won't have a good computer. Bad infrastructure, bad performance. Power supply is the most important part in a computer in my opinion. Bad ones take parts out, good ones keep you going for years.

Haven't had any issues with Dell power supplies. But I don't get the sense that the OP really wants to go down the route of building one from scratch, not that it's overly difficult. It's just first-time builds are hard to get right as far as all parts being compatible.

Back
Top Bottom