What is achievable here???

tom-knox

Fully Optimized
I am planning to set-up a wireless network in my home like the one in this picture

And i was wondering if it would be possible to access PC #1's files from PC #2 if so, how??

And would i be able to use the printer ( Connected to PC #1) from PC #2?? If so, how??

Please help me out, wireless networking isn't my strong point

Thank,
Tom

Yes, that'll work perfectly.

To access files across the network, the computers have to be in the same workgroup. To change it's workgroup, right click on My Computer, click Properties, go to the Computer Name tab, and click the "Change..." button.

Then you need to share whatever folders you want. Right click the folder, click Properties, go to the Sharing tab, and check "Share this folder on the network" tab.

To share the printer, go on PC #1, and go to Printers and Faxes (in Control Panel). Right click the printer, click Properties, and go to the Sharing tab. Click "Share this Printer, " and hit OK. You'll then have to configure the other computer to use it. Go to Printers and Faxes again, click Add A Printer, and go through the wizard. Make you sure choose the network printer option.

Thansk for your help freestyler, i'll have to print your reply so i don't forget,
Thanks again,
Tom

Or you can get a dedicated printer server to print automatically without having to have the other PC on. It plugs in to the back of the USB port of the printer. From what I understand with home print sharing, one computer has to be powered on (at least, the PC that's connected to the printer locally).

Yeah, the computer with the printer needs to be on (so the printer can use it's network adapter). It's a simple solution if you need to print things occasionally though, and it works fine if you don't want to spend money on a print server.

Back
Top Bottom