what are aceptable CPU & MOBO temps?

stevethebrain

In Runtime
I'm planning on a new PC (Acer AM3910-U4012 i3-550 3.2GHz 6Gb DDR3) it has a PSU fan and a fan directly over the CPU inside a tube that forces air out the side.

there is no sys. fan on the middle back of case.

?1.when I check CPU & MOBO temps in BIOS what is aceptable and what is desireable? note room temp is aproshemently 80 degrees.

?2.I'm assumming the PC must be in use for X amount of time before checking temp. what is X?

thanks STB

Acceptable temps depend on what hardware it is; some hardware can comfortably withstand more than others. There seems to be a difference in opinion (outside of the manufacturer's recommended max temp') as to what temperatures are decent; my personal preference is a max of 50c for the CPU, and 60c for the GPU.

I believe a lot of people go with that "x" number, but I personally think that's irreverent if the temperature has settled for around 2-5 minutes depending on how fast it dropped or rose; this sort of thing, IMO, takes observation and experience with various hardware to get an idea of what's good 'n what's not. Regardless of this, I suppose 15-20 minutes on idle and on load for both the CPU and GPU would be more than adequate at getting a respectable and reliable value, as long as other variables don't interfere, such as room temp' or other fans kicking in.

Hope that helped.

Rule of thumb: anything under 70 degree C is fine

i can agree, my CPU on Full load when rendering reaches 72*C max, if it hits 77* i pause the render to get temps down, higher than 80* is a danger area.

Even if it doesn't short the CPU or cause a crash, you are still damaging components inside which reduce the life of the CPU.

That's NOT a rule of thumb, and depends on hardware, but go ahead and damage/burn your CPUs, just keep in mind that different CPUs can handle different temperatures.

That's NOT a rule of thumb, and depends on hardware, but go ahead and damage/burn your CPUs, just keep in mind that different CPUs can handle different temperatures.

Not many CPU's burn out lower than 70?

Manufactures set the max lower, the same as if us humans keep our blood pressure under ?? and keep our internal temperature below ?? we can live longer, its not possible all the time, and millions of fat people live with blood pressure 4x??

It isnt good for the cpu to be at high temps of 60 - 70 degrees C but it wont kill it instantly or in a short time

Most if not all modern day CPUs can withstand 70 degree C before shutting down. the manufacturers test their products beyond what the safe limit is, for CPUs up to 90 degree C which is of course stupid and unsafe but is necessary to make sure the chips wont burn out at lower temps like 70 degree C at which the computer should automatically shut down due to heat. Kind of like paintball air tank manufacturers, they test the tanks up to 13000 psi but they are only filled up to 4500 psi or 3000 psi, depending on the tank you get.

Though I personally dont like to see my chip go above 50 degree C

well I recieved my new PC Thrusday.
after about 3 hours heres the temps acording to the BIOS

CPU 21 then increased to 22

sys.temp. 37 C/98F

PCH temp 59

I'll keep an eye on the temps, for right now I don't see a need for a sys. fan.

? when I install the addition of a large TV tuner card (dual tuner), extra 3.5 internal 1TB HDD will the temps. increase?
Thanks STB
002enr.jpg

By stevethebrain at 2012-04-21

Back
Top Bottom