western digital passport hard drive :/

greenhill

Beta member
i bought a western digital passport 500gb and i was wondering if i could download itunes onto the external hard drive and keep all my songs etc. on that. and then get rid of it off my laptop to make the laptop quicker. But will itunes still work on my computor if i only have it on my external hard drive? so i can just plug in my wester digital and go on itunes :/ confusing
cheers Greenhill

You can install to the drive and move your music there but even if you do itunes will still put entries into the registry and on the C drive in order to launch why do you say its slow? What is the issue you are running into?

the amount of content on itunes causes my laptop to run slow. so i thought i would be able to moved itunes on the external :/ so your saying it will still be on my laptop even if i do put it into my external and delete it from my internal? :S

You can move the content to the removable drive thats how mine is setup you just point the library to the location wehre you put the music and then run itunes from your laptop.

i dont really know how to do that i am only young :/
so i can move my itunes library onto the hard drive, so itunes on the laptop will be blank? and when i open my library it will use the itunes on my laptop, so the content will no stay on there.

cheers

So when you attach the harddrive, you will find the new drive in "My Computer". Open a Windows Explorer and go to "My Music". Copy the the entire folder to X:My Music (Where G equals the drive letter of the external drive). That will get the music onto the external. Now you need to add in iTunes by going to File > Add Folder to Library and then point to the folder on your X drive.
To speed up the computer a little (If you have Windows 7) you can also use ReadyBoost. Right click on Drive X: in My Computer and select the ReadyBoost option. This will use the USB Drive as a RAM Drive instead of using your Hard drive.

Back
Top Bottom