Weird question about upgrading RAM

Hoodlatch

Solid State Member
Hi all,

First off, I'm an idiot with computers. I got some new RAM and a new video card for my ol' computer. I have an asus a7v mobo with 3 RAM slots(up to 1.5g)

I had 640mb when I had my computer built, a 512 and a 128, and an open slot. My question is this. I tossed the 128 and bought 2 512mb Kingston pc133 chips. (pn#KTC-EN133/512) After intalling them, I only got 1024mb to total pysical memory. ??? If I pull one of them, it shows 768mb...as if they are only 256 chips. But, if I pull all three, and put one of the new 512's in (that acts like a 256) it shows up as 512.

Can someone please tell me what's wrong?

Oh, and please don't laugh at my ol relic. Best computer I ever had. :D

Ok, I don't understand exactly, but I figured it out. Windows>accessories>system tools does not show it correctly.
I installed EVEREST Home Edition and it shows 1536....why does system tools show 1024?

Ok, I'm not sure how to progress with your problem. Do the following and then I'll get a better picture.

With all the DIMMs in place, tell me how much memory the system counts during post. ie, just as the system is turned on at the BIOS post screen. You may need to use the Pause/Break key to pause the screen in order to read it in time.

What version of windows are you using as well?

Cheers.

aowen416 said:
Perhaps the RAM clock is to low?

that shouldn't have any effect.

Have u tested all of those 3 ram sticks separately? One of them might not be working correctly so that is why windows gives u 1024mb.

Right, I've had another think on this. Check the number of IC chips actually on the modules. The 2 new modules probably have a different number of chips on them than the old module and when the BIOS/OS addresses all the memory modules on bootup the 2 newer modules are addressed in the same desity as the older module. i.e. if the old 512MB module has say, 16 IC chips on it, and the new modules have 8 chips on it, the desities are different. This difference may not be correctly identified by your motherboards BIOS and when both the old and the new modules are addressed together, the new modules may appear to have half the capacity. This would explain why they are behaving the way they are, is a logically possible problem and may be corrected with a BIOS update. The additional program you are using to read the ammount of system RAM may see through this BIOS/OS level flaw to give the correct reading of 1.5GB of RAM or may just be reading the data held on the SPD chips to give the real value.

Give the BIOS an update and see if it helps.

connchri said:
Right, I've had another think on this. Check the number of IC chips actually on the modules. The 2 new modules probably have a different number of chips on them than the old module and when the BIOS/OS addresses all the memory modules on bootup the 2 newer modules are addressed in the same desity as the older module. i.e. if the old 512MB module has say, 16 IC chips on it, and the new modules have 8 chips on it, the desities are different. This difference may not be correctly identified by your motherboards BIOS and when both the old and the new modules are addressed together, the new modules may appear to have half the capacity. This would explain why they are behaving the way they are, is a logically possible problem and may be corrected with a BIOS update. The additional program you are using to read the ammount of system RAM may see through this BIOS/OS level flaw to give the correct reading of 1.5GB of RAM or may just be reading the data held on the SPD chips to give the real value.

Give the BIOS an update and see if it helps.

Connchri,
I'm running XP Pro. During boot, the memory test does show up as 1572864. System Information shows only 1024...
The old unknown 512 module I have has 16 chips, the new Kingstons also have 16.
I will try a BIOS update, since mine is from late 2000, can you explain how I do this? I'll search around and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks!

mammikoura said:
that shouldn't have any effect.

Have u tested all of those 3 ram sticks separately? One of them might not be working correctly so that is why windows gives u 1024mb.

Yes, separately they all show up as 512, that's why I am stumped...

Back
Top Bottom