Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
Solid State Member
Send a message via AIM to jeremyforall
Default weird problem

so i was doing a favor for my cousin, who's computer was full of spyware and trojans. i went and downloaded mcafee total protection from a torrent site. it worked perfectly for me and him. but all of a sudden, now when ever you click on a program like aim or add/remove programs you get a box saying "open with" or "not found". its really scary. he thinks i ruined his computer. IE works though. somewhere after the bad files where removed it happened. anyone have any ideas?

jeremyforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Baseband Member
Default Re: weird problem

Hey! If you had McAfee remove all of the bad files, it's possible that you're missing some of the files that you need to run the programs.. You probably had a pretty bad virus.. If McAfee tells you now that your system is clean, just reinstall the programs that aren't working and then try them again. Hope that helps.

ShortGirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Yeah, I bet your viruses affected some pretty important files.. that would be a butt hole virus You'll probably have to reinstall everything. Next time look and see what it's actually getting rid of.
Captain Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
Fully Optimized
Send a message via MSN to blackjack

Before you reinstall everything try Windows restore and go back up to before you played around, if its you main system files that are missing try putting your system disc in and running a windows repair, when you get your system right and clean make a back up of your system before you start meddling then if you do make a mistake then you can restore to your previous good working state.
Compaq Presario CQ5305K-m Intel® Pentium® Dual Core E5300 (2.6 GHz), Windows® 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 2048 MB , Hard drive: 320 Gb, with 18.5 Widescreen
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote