Weird Problem!

Liminator

In Runtime
Recently my parent's Dell computer has been getting slower and slower on boot ups but after waiting for like 30 min. it works all right. i never found out what the problem was but today when i tried to play Steam which is installed on a secondary hard drive, it said it couldn't find it. So when I double-clicked on my F: drive to see what was going on in there, I get an error that says "The disk in drive F; is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?". Should I format it and will I lose all of my data that was on there before. And if anyone has a solution that would be great. Thanks ahead of time.

It sounds like the drive is on it's last legs. Run the diagnostic tools availible from the Hard drive manufacturer to find this out.

Do not format the drive. Doing this will destroy all data that is currently on the drive.

You can also try running check-disk on the drive to see if that fixes anything so you can access your data.

To do this, open command promt and type chkdsk F: /r If that is not it, then it is F: chkdsk /r

I wish that meant something, but it doesn't. I've seen hard drives arrive DOA, and other fail in one week. It's all a matter of luck.

If you need help locating the diagnostic software from the manufacturer give us the manufacturer of the hard drive and we can help you locate that.

Its a Western Digital 160GB Hard Drive. Also I've heard of a program called DiskPatch. I've heard it works but what do you think? Anything else you can think of like it?

Sorry about the delay, I was in the shower. I have never heard of DiskPatch, but maybe someone else has.

Here are all of WD's downloads for diagnostic software. It looks like it doesn't really matter which one you download, but if possible I would still enter your model number to get one guaranteed to work for your drive.

hmmm shame WD hardrives have always been great for me

but yh do what cele said that should either sort it or tell u what the problem is

Back
Top Bottom