Weird over heating problem.

Devils6258

Baseband Member
I installed a new graphics card and power supply 2 weeks ago and it has run fairly cool untill about 2 days ago. The temps spiked for no apparent reason. What could be the cause of this? I didn't change a thing and the computer suddenly gets 10C hotter on me. Right now I have my case open with a house fan blowing on it just to keep my idleing temps average.

What is the amount of Watts, your PSU is giving? And please mention what graphics card you have installed. What were the temps before you installed those parts?

Can you give us full computer specs and the temperatures you're getting? You can get individual temps of hardware parts w/ PC Wizard 2007 or Speedfan

You do realise that having the case open does not help right? It causes problems with airflow, this is a common misconception that the side of the case being off will improve airflow, its so wrong. Stick the panel back on and see what happens, then we can go from there.

on my computer i have 2 fans which are worth about 10 dollars each and if i unplug them, it does no harm all they do is blow the air out of my case so, maybe if you buy a fan for about 10-15 dollars and position it to blow at your graphics card main chip and that might solve the problem. i did that to my brothers computer after his chip went to 165degrees celcius and it cooled it down a lot. the only thing is, find a place to put it in a good position, putting it in the wrong position it might fall and wreak your mother board or fall foward wrecking your graphics card possibly glue could hold it down but the fan will take up 1 slot on your computer to add extra hardware

Before Installing my new 7600gs and 600wat sli power supply It ran at about 44-45 idled and about 55 while running games like CCS and WoW. After installing it stayed exactly the same. Now it runs 50C idleing, just idleing my fans are working at 50 percent capacity while before it ran 30 percent at a lower temp, and 62 playing games. I'm not having heat trouble because, I opened my case I opened my case because I had heat trouble.

According to the readings it hasn't jumped very much but according to how much sweet runs down my face while playing WoW the readings are wrong. Speedfan gives me a bunch of funk info I dont really trust. It says one of my fans is running at 34 rpms the second at 0 and the third at 4000. Thing is all 3 fans are running at what appears to be the same speed.

on my computer i have 2 fans which are worth about 10 dollars each and if i unplug them, it does no harm all they do is blow the air out of my case so, maybe if you buy a fan for about 10-15 dollars and position it to blow at your graphics card main chip and that might solve the problem. i did that to my brothers computer after his chip went to 165degrees celcius and it cooled it down a lot. the only thing is, find a place to put it in a good position, putting it in the wrong position it might fall and wreak your mother board or fall foward wrecking your graphics card possibly glue could hold it down but the fan will take up 1 slot on your computer to add extra hardware

My graphics card isn't whats heating up. My cpu is.

You do realise that having the case open does not help right? It causes problems with airflow, this is a common misconception that the side of the case being off will improve airflow, its so wrong.

that always depends. :p
For me, keeping the case open does help quite much since I don't have any case fans. (yeah I know, I've been about to buy a few for almost a year now, but I still haven't) But yeah, if you have a few case fans then it's better to keep the case closed.

You do realise that having the case open does not help right? It causes problems with airflow, this is a common misconception that the side of the case being off will improve airflow, its so wrong. Stick the panel back on and see what happens, then we can go from there.
depends if you have any fans on your side panel or not.If you have no fans blowing hot air out then having the side on will keep things hotter
if there are no fans blowing out then there is no airflow.

depends if you have any fans on your side panel or not.If you have no fans blowing hot air out then having the side on will keep things hotter
if there are no fans blowing out then there is no airflow.
Dont agree at all. Take a look here for an airflow comparison, note this comment in the conclusions of the test "A single rear exhaust fan produces the best results overall. This flushes the theory of more is better right out the door."
http://www.short-media.com/articles/pc_airflow_heat_cooling_guide

Back
Top Bottom