weird hardrive

winslow33

Daemon Poster
OK well a friend of mine gave me their computer because they got a new one. and this one is, well, f****d. Fired it up, and the hard drive starts beeping like a heart monitor. Yeah that's right, its coming from the hard drive itself. Ive never seen that happen before. :confused: But the computer still hummed to life and the beeping stopped after about 60 seconds.
Windows doesn't want to load, just said there was a problem during startup, etc.
So I pop in the Windows XP CD to wipe it out and start fresh. Setup doesn't detect a hard drive.
First thing i did was took out the drive, and put in a different one, some crappy little 10GB thing (only spare IDE drive i have), installed Windows, all is fine.
Turn off the machine, set the jumper on this 10GB one to master, the other drive in question to slave, plugged them all in and turned it on.
Fans spin, hard drive starts its beeping again, and the on-board speaker on the motherboard beeps 3 times. Not a damn thing shows up on the screen.
So, I'm assuming all hope is lost in this drive.... Anybody have some kind of advice here on how I can get it working?

OK, im glad I'm not the only one with a budding musician of a computer..
end up The motherboard is now toast though.

Back
Top Bottom